- Subject(s):English as a Second Language
- Author(s):Mark Cholij
- Available from: July 1999
Cover the 'mechanics' of English language.
Send a Query×
Provides practice of spelling, punctuation and grammar for students aged 14+.
English Basics covers the ‘mechanics’ of the English language: spelling, punctuation and grammar. Each book offers a systematic work and study programme for use in the classroom or at home.
Each unit consists of three sections. Initial tasks enable students to assess their grasp of a particular language point; a reference section contains accessible explanations and plenty of examples; and further exercises offer extension, revision and consolidation. A full glossary and answer key are also included.
- Unit 1. Greek and Latin roots 1
- Unit 2. Greek and Latin roots 2
- Unit 3. Loan words (words/phrases taken from other languages)
- Unit 4. American/British spelling 1
- Unit 5. American/British spelling 2
- Unit 6. Confusing words 1
- Unit 7. Confusing words 2
- Unit 8. Words that sound alike
- Unit 9. Informal speech (vocabulary)
- Unit 10. Informal speech (grammar) 1
- Unit 11. Informal speech (grammar) 2
- Unit 12. Nouns ending in -er, -or, -ar
- Unit 13. Nouns ending in -ence, -ance
- Unit 14. Words ending in -ary, -ery, -ory, -ury
- Unit 15. Words ending in -us, -ous, -ious, -eous
- Unit 16. Some awkward nouns and adjectives
- Unit 17. Forming and using adverbs
- Unit 18. Confusing words 3
- Unit 19. Confusing words 4
- Unit 20. Prepositions
- Unit 21. Regular verbs in the past
- Unit 22. Irregular verbs in the past
- Unit 23. Formal English
- Unit 24. Emphatic English
- Unit 25. Loose English
- Unit 26. The comma and relative clauses
- Unit 27. The comma (general use)
- Unit 28. The comma, the semicolon and the colon
- Unit 29. Unnecessary words
- Unit 30. Plain English.
Latest newsAll news
06 December 2019
The Latin of 'the man on the street': exploring unfiltered Latin through Roman graffiti
Experienced Latin teacher Bill Geiger talks about how your students can get an insight into...
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×