Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
This book describes the research done on the problems of Bénard convection, its modern offspring the RayleighSHBénard problem, and Taylor vortices. Both problems are classical examples in the theory of hydrodynamic stability and share many features. While linear theory describing the onset of instability for both problems is practically completed, nonlinear problems are at the forefront of research. Thus the author concentrates on the impressive progress that has been made in the theoretical and experimental investigation of the nonlinear problems and outlines the remaining basic problems.Read more
- Experimental approach to fluids
- Author is very well-known experimentalist
- Around 100 figures, many of which are the author's own photos
- Classic subject matter lit up by recent investigations
Reviews & endorsements
"I would enthusiastically recommend Bénard Cells and Taylor Vortices to all researchers and graduate students interested in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and scientific research. Cambridge University Press should be complimented for a superb production and publication." Turgut Sarpkaya, Applied Mechanics ReviewSee more reviews
"...a very readable, informal, descriptive discussion." The American Mathematical Monthly
"...a thorough and accessible account of linear and nonlinear stability problems and of turbulent flows....should be read and considered by those interested in pattern formation in fluids." C. David Andereck, Physics Today
"...highly recommended for theoreticians and experimentalists in hydrodynamic stability and bifurcation and also for all those interested in modeling in hydrodynamics." Mathematical Reviews
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: February 1993
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521402040
- length: 350 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 24 mm
- weight: 0.68kg
- contains: 100 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Part I. Bénard Convection and Rayleigh–Bénard Convection:
1. Bénard's experiments
2. Linear theory of Rayleigh–Bénard convection
3. Theory of surface tension driven Bénard convection
4. Surface tension driven Bénard convection experiments
5. Linear Rayleigh–Bénard convection experiments
6. Supercritical Rayleigh–Bénard convection experiments
7. Nonlinear theory of Rayleigh–Bénard convection
8. Miscellaneous topics
Part II. Taylor Vortex Flow:
9. Circular Couette flow
10. Rayleigh's stability criterion
11. G. I. Taylor's work
12. Other early experiments
13. Supercritical Taylor vortex experiments
14. Experiments with two independently rotating cylinders
15. Nonlinear theory of Taylor vortices
16. Miscellaneous topics.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×