Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Intersection homology is a version of homology theory that extends Poincaré duality and its applications to stratified spaces, such as singular varieties. This is the first comprehensive expository book-length introduction to intersection homology from the viewpoint of singular and piecewise-linear chains. Recent breakthroughs have made this approach viable by providing intersection homology and cohomology versions of all the standard tools in the homology tool box, making the subject readily accessible to graduate students and researchers in topology as well as researchers from other fields. This text includes both new research material and new proofs of previously-known results in intersection homology, as well as treatments of many classical topics in algebraic and manifold topology. Written in a detailed but expository style, this book is suitable as an introduction to intersection homology or as a thorough reference.Read more
- Contains brand new research and results, bringing the reader right up to date
- Works as a reference for classical material, including detailed descriptions that are difficult to find elsewhere
- Provides a self-contained introduction to less standard background material, serving as a one-stop shop for the reader
Reviews & endorsements
‘… a detailed and meticulous presentation of intersection homology by singular and PL chains.’ Daniel Tanré, European Mathematical Society
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: September 2020
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781107150744
- length: 869 pages
- dimensions: 175 x 250 x 50 mm
- weight: 1.5kg
- contains: 61 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Notations and conventions
2. Stratified spaces
3. Intersection homology
4. Basic properties of singular and PL intersection homology
5. Mayer–Vietoris arguments and further properties of intersection homology
6. Non-GM intersection homology
7. Intersection cohomology and products
8. Poincaré duality
9. Witt spaces and IP spaces
10. Suggestions for further reading
Appendix A. Algebra
Appendix B. An introduction to simplicial and PL topology
Glossary of symbols
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×