Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
The purpose of this book is to show that the ethnic groups of ancient Greece, like many ethnic groups throughout the world today, were not ultimately racial, linguistic, religious or cultural, but social groups whose "origins" in extraneous territories were just as often imagined as they were real. This is the first study to treat the subject from a truly interdisciplinary point of view, embracing literature, myth, archaeology, linguistics and social anthropology. It also outlines the history of the study of ethnicity in Greek antiquity.Read more
- Covers an important subject area in ancient Greece
- Uses findings from literature, myth, archaeology, linguistics and social anthropology
- Hardcover was winner of the Charles J. Goodwin Award of Merit of the American Philological Association 1999
Reviews & endorsements
"An interesting, if not easy, book written for scholars." Religious Studies Review
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2000
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521789998
- length: 248 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 14 mm
- weight: 0.345kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Phrasing the problem
2. The nature and expression of ethnicity: an anthropological view
3. The discursive dimension of ethnic identity
4. Ethnography and genealogy: an Argolic case-study
5. Ethnicity and archaeology
6. Ethnicity and linguistics
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×