Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This book introduces students to the basic physical principles to analyze fluid flow in micro and nano-size devices. This is the first book that unifies the thermal sciences with electrostatics and electrokinetics and colloid science; electrochemistry; and molecular biology. The author discusses key concepts and principles, such as the essentials of viscous flows, an introduction to electrochemistry, heat and mass transfer phenomena, elements of molecular and cell biology, and much more. This textbook presents state-of-the-art analytical and computational approaches to problems in all of these areas, especially electrokinetic flows, and gives examples of the use of these disciplines to design devices used for rapid molecular analysis, biochemical sensing, drug delivery, DNA analysis, the design of an artificial kidney, and other transport phenomena. This textbook includes exercise problems, modern examples of the applications of these sciences, and a solutions manual available to qualified instructors.Read more
- A truly interdisciplinary book unifying the thermal sciences with electrostatics and electrokinetics and colloid science, electrochemistry and molecular biology
- Discussion of the history of fluid mechanics, heat and mass transfer, electrostatics and electrodynamics
- Contains short vignettes on various aspects of micro- and nanofluidics and on some of the great names in science
Reviews & endorsements
"This book is clearly written at an appropriate level for the target audience. Generous illustrations. Summing Up: Recommended. Upper-division undergraduates and graduate students." - R. Darby, emeritus, Texas A&M University, Choice, July 2013
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: December 2012
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521881685
- length: 552 pages
- dimensions: 260 x 183 x 31 mm
- weight: 1.13kg
- contains: 117 b/w illus. 40 tables 170 exercises
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Introduction and overview
2. Preparatory concepts
3. The governing equations for an electrically conducting fluid
4. The essentials of viscous flow
5. Heat and mass transfer phenomena in channels and tubes
6. Introduction to electrostatics
7. Elements of electrochemistry and the electrical double layer
8. Elements of molecular and cell biology
9. Electrokinetic phenomena
10. Essential numerical methods
11. Molecular simulations
Appendix 1: matched asymptotic expansions
Appendix 2: vector operations in curvilinear coordinates.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
*This title has one or more locked files and access is given only to instructors adopting the textbook for their class. We need to enforce this strictly so that solutions are not made available to students. To gain access to locked resources you either need first to sign in or register for an account.
These resources are provided free of charge by Cambridge University Press with permission of the author of the corresponding work, but are subject to copyright. You are permitted to view, print and download these resources for your own personal use only, provided any copyright lines on the resources are not removed or altered in any way. Any other use, including but not limited to distribution of the resources in modified form, or via electronic or other media, is strictly prohibited unless you have permission from the author of the corresponding work and provided you give appropriate acknowledgement of the source.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.com
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Fundamentals of Engineering for Honors 2
- Interfacial Phenomena
- Introduction to Bio-Nanotechnology
- Micro- and Nanofluidics
- Microfluidics for Engineers
- Nanotechnology; Fundamentals of Engineering Honors- note: I requested this book previously but did not receive a copy!
- Select Topics in Thermo Fluids
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×