Optimization in Practice with MATLAB® provides a unique approach to optimization education. It is accessible to both junior and senior undergraduate and graduate students, as well as industry practitioners. It provides a strongly practical perspective that allows the student to be ready to use optimization in the workplace. It covers traditional materials, as well as important topics previously unavailable in optimization books (e.g., Numerical Essentials - for successful optimization). Written with both the reader and the instructor in mind, Optimization in Practice with MATLAB® provides practical applications of real-world problems using MATLAB®, with a suite of practical examples and exercises that help the students link the theoretical, the analytical, and the computational in each chapter. Additionally, supporting MATLAB® m-files are available for download via www.cambridge.org.messac. Lastly, adopting instructors will receive a comprehensive solution manual with solution codes along with lectures in PowerPoint with animations for each chapter, and the text’s unique flexibility enables instructors to structure one- or two-semester courses.Read more
- The realistic examples differentiate this book from others on the market
- Offers a wide-ranging collection of examples and exercises, providing a unique platform for linking the theoretical, computational, and practical
- A MATLAB® chapter and prerequisite math chapter address diverse students' preparation levels
- A robust ancillary support package includes comprehensive PowerPoint lectures with animations, a comprehensive solutions manual with solution codes, and MATLAB® codes for examples and solutions
18th Nov 2015 by Salema2
I think the book is very useful and interesting for students because it provides real examples and problemsSee all reviews
10th Oct 2016 by GGrebenisan
This book contains much examples and problems proposed for solving by the readers. The book may be used successfully as support by the students and educators, as well. More applications are from the real world, and presented with comprehensibility.
14th Feb 2017 by Aymeen
it is really a very helpfull book, It is very interesting to help us understand the optimization
29th Aug 2018 by BuckHan1
The book is very useful for engineering applications! I have had a good experience in studying the method in it.
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2015
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781107109186
- length: 494 pages
- dimensions: 260 x 184 x 30 mm
- weight: 1.06kg
- contains: 159 b/w illus. 61 tables 191 exercises
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Part I. Helpful Preliminaries:
1. MATLAB® as a computational tool
2. Mathematical preliminaries
Part II. Using Optimization – the Road Map:
3. Welcome to the fascinating world of optimization
4. Analysis, design, optimization, and modeling
5. Introducing linear and nonlinear programming
Part III. Using Optimization – Practical Essentials:
6. Multiobjective optimization
7. Numerical essentials
8. Global optimization basics
9. Discrete optimization basics
10. Practicing optimization – larger examples
Part IV. Going Deeper: Inside the Codes and Theoretical Aspects:
11. Linear programming
12. Nonlinear programming with no constraints
13. Nonlinear programming with constraints
Part V. More Advanced Topics in Optimization:
14. Discrete optimization
15. Modeling complex systems: surrogate modeling and design space reduction
16. Design optimization under uncertainty
17. Methods for Pareto frontier generation/representation
18. Physical programming for multiobjective optimization
19. Evolutionary algorithms.
Welcome to the resources site
Here you will find free-of-charge online materials to accompany this book. The range of materials we provide across our academic and higher education titles are an integral part of the book package whether you are a student, instructor, researcher or professional.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
*This title has one or more locked files and access is given only to instructors adopting the textbook for their class. We need to enforce this strictly so that solutions are not made available to students. To gain access to locked resources you either need first to sign in or register for an account.
These resources are provided free of charge by Cambridge University Press with permission of the author of the corresponding work, but are subject to copyright. You are permitted to view, print and download these resources for your own personal use only, provided any copyright lines on the resources are not removed or altered in any way. Any other use, including but not limited to distribution of the resources in modified form, or via electronic or other media, is strictly prohibited unless you have permission from the author of the corresponding work and provided you give appropriate acknowledgement of the source.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×