An Introduction to Partial Differential Equations
$76.00 ( ) USD
- Yehuda Pinchover, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
- Jacob Rubinstein, Indiana University
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
A complete introduction to partial differential equations, this textbook provides a rigorous yet accessible guide to students in mathematics, physics and engineering. The presentation is lively and up to date, paying particular emphasis to developing an appreciation of underlying mathematical theory. Beginning with basic definitions, properties and derivations of some basic equations of mathematical physics from basic principles, the book studies first order equations, classification of second order equations, and the one-dimensional wave equation. Two chapters are devoted to the separation of variables, whilst others concentrate on a wide range of topics including elliptic theory, Green's functions, variational and numerical methods. A rich collection of worked examples and exercises accompany the text, along with a large number of illustrations and graphs to provide insight into the numerical examples. Solutions to selected exercises are included for students and extended solution sets are available to lecturers from firstname.lastname@example.org.Read more
- Many worked examples and exercises, with extended solutions available for lecturers from email@example.com
- An undergraduate textbook which bridges the gap between introductory and advanced courses on differential equations
- Designed for students with a range of abilities
Reviews & endorsements
"This is an introductory book on the subject of partial differential equations which is suitable for a large variety of basic courses on this topic. In particular, it can be used as a textbook or self-study book for large classes of readers with interests in mathematics, engineering, and related fields. Its usefulness stems from its clarity, balance and conciseness, achieved without compromising the mathematical rigor. One particularly attractive feature is the way in which the authors managed to emphasize the relevance of the theoretical tools in connection with practical applications."
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2005
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511110252
- contains: 35 b/w illus. 200 exercises
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
2. First-order equations
3. Second-order linear equations
4. The 1D wave equation
5. Separation of variables
6. Sturm-Liouville problem
7. Elliptic equations
8. Green's function and integral representation
9. Equations in high dimensions
10. Variational methods
11. Numerical methods
12. Solutions of odd-numbered problems.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
This title is supported by one or more locked resources. Access to locked resources is granted exclusively by Cambridge University Press to instructors whose faculty status has been verified. To gain access to locked resources, instructors should sign in to or register for a Cambridge user account.
Please use locked resources responsibly and exercise your professional discretion when choosing how you share these materials with your students. Other instructors may wish to use locked resources for assessment purposes and their usefulness is undermined when the source files (for example, solution manuals or test banks) are shared online or via social networks.
Supplementary resources are subject to copyright. Instructors are permitted to view, print or download these resources for use in their teaching, but may not change them or use them for commercial gain.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Advanced Differential Equations
- Applied Mathematical Analysis
- Applied Mathematics I
- Applied Mathematics ll
- Applied Partial Differential Equations
- Fundamentals of Nuclear Engineering
- Initial and Boundary Value Problems
- Introduction to Partial Differential Equations
- Partial Differential Equations of Applied Mathematics
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×