René Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy
With Selections from the Objections and Replies
$31.00 ( ) USD
- Editor: John Cottingham, University of Reading
Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Descartes’s Meditations on First Philosophy, published in Latin in 1641, is one of the most widely studied philosophical texts of all time, and inaugurates many of the key themes that have remained central to philosophy ever since. In his original Latin text Descartes expresses himself with great lucidity and elegance, and there is enormous interest, even for those who are not fluent in Latin, in seeing how the famous concepts and arguments of his great masterpiece unfold in the original language. John Cottingham’s acclaimed English translation of the work is presented here in a facing-page edition alongside the original Latin text. Students of classical philosophy have long had the benefit of dual-language editions, and the availability of such a resource for the canonical works of the early-modern period is long overdue. This volume now makes available, in an invaluable dual-language format, one of the most seminal texts of Western philosophy.Read more
- Incorporates the widely acclaimed Cottingham translation, published by Cambridge University Press in 1996
- Presents the original Latin text of Descartes's greatest masterpiece, considered one of the greatest canonical texts in Western philosophy
- Allows for a close comparison of Descartes's original text with an authoritative English translation
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2013
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781107330566
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
Philosophical introduction to the Meditations
Textual and linguistic introduction
Descartes, Meditationes/Meditations Latin text with English translation.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×