Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
In those moments when focus on creative work overrides input from the outside world, we are in a creative trance. This psychologically significant altered state of consciousness is inherent in everyone. It can take the form of daydreams generating scientific or creative ideas, hyperfocus in sports, visualizations that impact entire civilizations, life-changing audience experiences, or meditations for self-transformation that may access states beyond trance, becoming gateways to transcendence. Artist and psychologist Tobi Zausner shows how creative trance not only operates in scientific inventions and works of art in all media, but is also important in creating and recreating the self. Drawing on insights from cognitive neuroscience, clinical psychology and post-materialist psychology, this book investigates the diversity of the creative trance ranging from non-industrial societies to digital urban life, and its presence in people from all backgrounds and abilities. Finally, Zausner investigates the future of trance in our rapidly changing world.Read more
- Accessibly written for all interested in what happens to the mind during creativity
- Includes perspectives of people with learning difficulties, illness, disabilities, and dementia
- Brings the altered states of a creative trance into the mainstream of research on creativity psychology
Reviews & endorsements
'An instant classic. Such a deep understanding of consciousness and creativity has nowhere previously been seen. Laced with rich stories of creators in the act of creating, this book is an engaging read and invaluable resource.' Allan Combs, California Institute of Integral Studies, USA
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Publication planned for: June 2022
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108738583
- length: 200 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 mm
- availability: Not yet published - available from June 2022
Table of Contents
Introduction: the pervasive state of trance
1. The multifaceted creative trance
2. Consciousness and creativty theory in a creative trance
3. Unconscious origins of the creative trance
4. Empathy and dissociation in the creative trance
5. Evolution, altered states, and the creative trance
6. The creative trance and the brain
7. Dynamics of the creative trance
8. Dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, and the creative trance
9. Illness and transformation in the creative trance
10. Different abilities and the creative trance
11. Dementia and the creative trance
12. Altered states of a lifesaving creative trance.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×