Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This unique "behind the scenes" description of British flat racing is based on first hand experiences in Newmarket, the Suffolk town regarded as the international headquarters of the sport. Cassidy offers an insider's look at the rituals of horseracing--including those on the racecourse and at the bloodstock auction--and shows how racing, betting and the bloodstock industry are connected. Her insightful descriptions of the class structure of Newmarket explain how racing professionals preserve both the sport and their status quo.Read more
- Unique 'behind the scenes' description of racing society in Britain
- Based on first-hand experience of all aspects of the subject matter, including riding and caring for the racehorses
- Strong contribution to debates in anthropology on the status of kinship, relations between humans and animals, reproductive technologies and ideas of 'nature' and the 'natural'
Reviews & endorsements
"Th[is] book displays a welcome interdisciplinary vision, being informed by sociological, economic, and historical perspectives...[a] precisely written and imaginative study." Business History Review
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: September 2002
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521004879
- length: 200 pages
- dimensions: 232 x 156 x 18 mm
- weight: 0.441kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
3. Keeping it in the family
4. At the races
5. Having a flutter
6. Going once, going twice …
7. One of the lads
8. Doing it for Daddy
9. Blood will tell
List of references
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×