Multiple copy pack
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Robert W. Rogers (1864–1930), American professor of biblical exegesis, became fascinated by the Hebrew language as a boy, when trying to understand the Book of Job, and subsequently studied ancient languages and history in Leipzig and Oxford, where he became a friend of A. H. Sayce. In this two-volume 1901 work, he provides a history of the Mesopotamian civilisations, but begins with an extensive review of the archaeological and literary sources of information, opening with the earliest accounts of Western travellers. Volume 1 then continues with a discussion of the environment and resources, and the peoples and the chronology of the area, before beginning a narrative of Babylonian history. Volume 2 deals with the history of Assyria and of the Chaldean empire. The work, with its detailed review of and reliance on original sources, is still valuable as an introduction to a long period of ancient Middle Eastern history.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2015
- format: Multiple copy pack
- isbn: 9781108083096
- length: 896 pages
- dimensions: 240 x 187 x 52 mm
- weight: 1.13kg
- contains: 1 b/w illus.
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
Volume 1: Preface
Book I. Prolegomena:
1. Early travellers and early decipherers
2. Grotefend and Rawlinson
3. Early explorers in Babylonia
4. Explorations in Assyria and Babylonia, 1734–1820
5. Excavations in Assyria and Babylonia, 1843–54
6. The decipherment of Assyrian
7. The decipherment of Sumerian and Vannic
8. Explorations in Assyria and Babylonia, 1872–1900
9. The sources
10. The lands of Babylonia and Assyria
11. The peoples of Babylonia and Assyria
12. The chronology
Book II. The History of Babylonia:
1. The history of Babylonia to the fall of Larsa
2. The first and second dynasties of Babylon
3. The Kassite dynasty
4. The dynasty of Isin. Volume 2: Book III. The History of Assyria:
1. The beginnings of Assyria
2. Tiglathpileser I and his sons
3. Increase of Assyrian power over Babylonia
4. Reign of Asshurnazirpal
5. Shalmaneser II to Asshur-Nirari II
6. The reigns of Tiglathpileser III and Shalmaneser IV
7. The reign of Sargon II
8. The reign of Sennacherib
9. The reign of Esarhaddon
10. The reign of Asshurbanapal
11. The fall of Assyria
Book IV. The History of the Chaldean Empire:
1. The reign of Nabopolassar
2. The reign of Nebuchadrezzar
3. The last years of the Chaldean empire
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×