Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
At a time early in the twenty-first century when the nature and future of British farming is very much a matter of public debate, this volume presents an up-to-date overview of the subject between one and two thousand years ago. Its importance lies in providing an authoritative and scholarly synthesis of a great deal of research--environmental, archaeological and historical --which cumulatively makes a significant shift in the understanding of Britain and its farming peoples, of the British landscape and of farming itself.Read more
- The first synthesis of the topic for 30 years
- Concludes with a review of the outcomes of farming, and a chronological model of British agriculture in the first millennium AD
- A significant contribution to the understanding of environmental issues and new interpretations on numerous matters, e.g. implements, illuminated manuscripts, chronology
Reviews & endorsements
"[A]n example of a balanced scholarly work that successfully maintains its readability while fulfilling its stated objective as a textbook intended for undergraduates and general readers...capably traverses difficult scholarly territory and presents an engaging general picture of British agriculture over a thousand-year period." Bryn Mawr Classical Review
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2003
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521890564
- length: 412 pages
- dimensions: 244 x 173 x 25 mm
- weight: 0.65kg
- contains: 46 b/w illus. 6 maps
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. The first millennium
9. Ards and ploughs
12. Food and diet
13. An agrarian society
14. Farming in the first millennium.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×