Out of Print
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
In this first monograph on important early modern artist Oscar Bluemner (1867–1938), who was born and trained as an architect in Germany before moving to the United States and becoming a painter, the author gives a thorough account of Bluemner's background, creative development, professional relationships, major works, and intellectual framework based on his own diaries and other unpublished or previously neglected sources. Of particular interest are Bluemner's early emulation of Cézanne and especially van Gogh; his association with Alfred Stieglitz's pioneering 291 Circle; several major but little known paintings and drawings found in private collections; a unique theory of colour and landscape shaped by both Far Eastern aesthetics and Western thinkers such as Goethe and Freud; a closing critical estimate of Bluemner's role and 'place' in American early modernism.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 1991
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521331661
- length: 246 pages
- dimensions: 287 x 230 x 20 mm
- weight: 1.186kg
- availability: Unavailable - out of print January 2000
Table of Contents
Preface and acknowledgements
List of illustrations
1. Early life: from Germany to America (1867–1900)
2. New York: from architect to painter (1900–1912)
3. Europe: a Grand Tour (1912)
4. New York: among the avant-garde (1912–1916)
5. New Jersey: 'Something Has Given Mr Bluemner Soul' (1916–1926)
6. Massachusetts: 'A Surprising Vision of Landscape' (1926–1938)
7. Self-Portrait: 'In A Landscape As In A Face'
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×