Request inspection copy
Lecturers may request a copy of this title for inspection
Hittite is the earliest attested Indo-European language and was the language of a state which flourished in Asia Minor in the second millennium BC. This exciting and accessible introductory course, which can be used in both trimester and semester systems, offers in ten lessons a comprehensive introduction to the grammar of the Hittite language with ample exercises both in transliteration and in cuneiform. It includes a separate section of paradigms, a grammatical index, as well as a list of every cuneiform sign used in the book. A full glossary can be found at the back. The book has been designed so that the cuneiform is not essential and can be left out of any course if so desired. The introduction provides the necessary cultural and historical background, with suggestions for further reading, and explains the principles of the cuneiform writing system.Read more
- New introductory textbook arising from the author's own teaching which makes learning Hittite possible for students and scholars of Hittite and ancient Near Eastern studies, Biblical studies, classics and Indo-European linguistics
- Makes extensive use of material from real Hittite texts
- Introduces the cuneiform script, thereby enabling the student to understand why the language looks the way it does and where some of its problems come from
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: October 2011
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521133005
- length: 222 pages
- dimensions: 244 x 173 x 15 mm
- weight: 0.45kg
- contains: 13 b/w illus. 1 map 123 tables
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Appendix 1. Paradigms
Appendix 2. Sources of exercise material
Appendix 3. Index of syntax and phonological phenomena
Appendix 4. Cuneiform sign list
Appendix 5. Glossary.
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Hittite Myth and History
- Topics in Linguistics (Hittite)
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×