Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
Robert W. Rogers (1864–1930), American professor of biblical exegesis, became fascinated by the Hebrew language as a boy, when trying to understand the Book of Job, and subsequently studied ancient languages and history in Leipzig and Oxford, where he became a friend of A. H. Sayce. In this two-volume 1901 work, he provides a history of the Mesopotamian civilisations, but begins with an extensive review of the archaeological and literary sources of information, opening with the earliest accounts of Western travellers. Volume 1 then continues with a discussion of the environment and resources, and the peoples and the chronology of the area, before beginning a narrative of Babylonian history, which closes with the end of the dynasty of Isin. The work, with its detailed review of and reliance on original sources, is still valuable as an introduction to a long period of ancient Middle Eastern history.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2015
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108083072
- length: 456 pages
- dimensions: 217 x 140 x 28 mm
- weight: 0.55kg
- contains: 1 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Book I. Prolegomena:
1. Early travellers and early decipherers
2. Grotefend and Rawlinson
3. Early explorers in Babylonia
4. Explorations in Assyria and Babylonia, 1734–1820
5. Excavations in Assyria and Babylonia, 1843–54
6. The decipherment of Assyrian
7. The decipherment of Sumerian and Vannic
8. Explorations in Assyria and Babylonia, 1872–1900
9. The sources
10. The lands of Babylonia and Assyria
11. The peoples of Babylonia and Assyria
12. The chronology
Book II. The History of Babylonia:
1. The history of Babylonia to the fall of Larsa
2. The first and second dynasties of Babylon
3. The Kassite dynasty
4. The dynasty of Isin.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×