Looking for an inspection copy?
This title is not currently available on inspection
This book examines the multi-media art patronage of three generations of the Tornabuoni family, who commissioned works from innovative artists, such as Sandro Botticelli and Rosso Fiorentino. Best known for commissioning the fresco cycle in Santa Maria Novella by Domenico Ghirlandaio, a key monument of the Florentine Renaissance, the Tornabuoni ordered a number of still-surviving art works, inspired by their commitment to family, knowledge of ancient literature, music, love, loss, and religious devotion. This extensive body of work makes the Tornabuoni a critically important family of early modern art patrons. However, they are further distinguished by the numerous objects they commissioned to honor female relations who served in different family roles, thus deepening understanding of Florentine Renaissance gender relations. Maria DePrano presents a comprehensive picture of how one Florentine family commissioned art to gain recognition in their society, revere God, honor family members, especially women, and memorialize deceased loved ones.Read more
- Expands scholarly dialogue of family art patronage for art historians and historians
- Illustrates how fifteenth-century Florentine families used art to honor or remember female relatives and contributes to scholarly discussion of place of women in Italian Renaissance society, demonstrating that not just brides and new mothers were honored with art in fifteenth-century Florentine society
- Demonstrates that women were honored with art of the same quality (artistic and material) and intellectual rigor as the men in the family commissioned for themselves
- Expands primary published source material on the Tornabuoni family and contributes to primary source material for material culture studies
Reviews & endorsements
'This beautifully illustrated book examines the extraordinary body of art work commissioned by male members of the patrician Tornabuoni family in late fifteenth-century Florence. … DePrano offers substantive visual analyses of individual works, deftly analyzing the literary motifs and symbolism underpinning their imagery.' Sharon Strocchia, The Journal of Interdisciplinary HistorySee more reviews
'… represents a thoughtful, important move in this direction. I sincerely hope she will be followed by others.' Jane Tylus, Early Modern Women: An Interdisciplinary Journal
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2018
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781108416054
- length: 446 pages
- dimensions: 261 x 187 x 23 mm
- weight: 1.11kg
- contains: 107 b/w illus. 16 colour illus.
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
1. Introducing a family: The Tornabuoni
2. Honoring a sister: Domenico Ghirlandaio's portrait of Lucrezia Tornabuoni
3. Immortalizing a family: the Tornabuoni family medals by Niccolò Fiorentino
4. Praising a bride: Niccolò Fiorentino's medals for Giovanna degli Albizzi
5. Complimenting a new couple: Ghirlandaio-School Spalliere for Lorenzo and Giovanna
6. Commemorating the family: the Tornabuoni Chapel at Santa Maria Novella
7. Memorializing a lost wife: Ghirlandaio's paintings for Giovanna degli Albizzi
8. Celebrating a second marriage: Botticelli's frescoes for the Tornabuoni Villa
9. Continuing the tradition: Lorenzo's sons as art patrons
Appendix A. Giovanni Tornabuoni's letters to Lucrezia Tornabuoni
Appendix B. Tornabuoni inventory bibliography
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×