- Subject(s):English as a Second Language
- Author(s):Mark Cholij
- Available from: November 2009
Cover the 'mechanics' of English language.
Send a Query×
For students aged 11+ who need to revise the general principles of English language and grammar.
English Basics covers the ‘mechanics’ of the English language: spelling, punctuation and grammar. Each book offers a systematic work and study programme for use in the classroom or at home.
Each unit consists of three sections. Initial tasks enable students to assess their grasp of a particular language point; a reference section contains accessible explanations and plenty of examples; and further exercises offer extension, revision and consolidation. A full glossary and answer key are also included.
- Unit 1. Capital letters
- Unit 2. Showing what someone has said
- Unit 3. The colon
- Unit 4. The dash
- Unit 5. The comma 1
- Unit 6. The comma 2
- Unit 7. More than one (making nouns plural)
- Unit 8. Singular or plural? (My family was/were...)
- Unit 9. The apostrophe 1
- Unit 10. The apostrophe 2
- Unit 11. Two words in one (e.g. 'beauty' + 'full' = beautiful)
- Unit 12. One word or two? (maybe/may be)
- Unit 13. The hyphen
- Unit 14. Some troublesome nouns (Is it 'arguement' or 'argument'?)
- Unit 15. Some more troublesome nouns (Is it 'humour' or 'humor'?)
- Unit 16. Extending words of one syllable (e.g. rub – rubber)
- Unit 17. Extending words of more than one syllable (travel – traveller)
- Unit 18. Irregular verbs (e.g. do – did – done)
- Unit 19. Some tricky verbs (lie/lay
- Unit 20. Some confusing words (practise/practice
- Unit 21. -ible and -able
- Unit 22. -ent and -ant
- Unit 23. Negative prefixes
- Unit 24. adverbs
- Unit 25. Making comparisons
- Unit 26. 'as' and 'like'
- Unit 27. Words that sound alike
- Unit 28. Silent letters
- Unit 29. Some problems of usage
- Unit 30. Common spelling errors.
Latest newsAll news
18 December 2018
Despite challenges, teachers would do it all again!
Earlier this year, we set out to hear exactly what it’s like to work in...
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×