- Subject(s):English as a Second Language
- Author(s):Mark Cholij
- Available from: November 2009
Cover the 'mechanics' of English language.
Send a Query×
Provides practice of spelling, punctuation and grammar for students aged 14+.
English Basics covers the ‘mechanics’ of the English language: spelling, punctuation and grammar. Each book offers a systematic work and study programme for use in the classroom or at home.
Each unit consists of three sections. Initial tasks enable students to assess their grasp of a particular language point; a reference section contains accessible explanations and plenty of examples; and further exercises offer extension, revision and consolidation. A full glossary and answer key are also included.
- Unit 1. Greek and Latin roots 1
- Unit 2. Greek and Latin roots 2
- Unit 3. Loan words (words/phrases taken from other languages)
- Unit 4. American/British spelling 1
- Unit 5. American/British spelling 2
- Unit 6. Confusing words 1
- Unit 7. Confusing words 2
- Unit 8. Words that sound alike
- Unit 9. Informal speech (vocabulary)
- Unit 10. Informal speech (grammar) 1
- Unit 11. Informal speech (grammar) 2
- Unit 12. Nouns ending in -er, -or, -ar
- Unit 13. Nouns ending in -ence, -ance
- Unit 14. Words ending in -ary, -ery, -ory, -ury
- Unit 15. Words ending in -us, -ous, -ious, -eous
- Unit 16. Some awkward nouns and adjectives
- Unit 17. Forming and using adverbs
- Unit 18. Confusing words 3
- Unit 19. Confusing words 4
- Unit 20. Prepositions
- Unit 21. Regular verbs in the past
- Unit 22. Irregular verbs in the past
- Unit 23. Formal English
- Unit 24. Emphatic English
- Unit 25. Loose English
- Unit 26. The comma and relative clauses
- Unit 27. The comma (general use)
- Unit 28. The comma, the semicolon and the colon
- Unit 29. Unnecessary words
- Unit 30. Plain English.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×