2. Jefferson, T, Di Pietrantonj, C, Al-Ansary, LA, Ferroni, E, Thorning, S, Thomas, RE. Vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;17:CD004876.
3. Last, JM. A Dictionary of Epidemiology. 2nd ed. Toronto, ON: Oxford University Press; 1988.
4. Canadian Institute for Health Information. Health Care in Canada, 2011: A Focus on Seniors and Aging. Ottawa, ON: CIHI; 2011.
5. Booy, R, Lindley, RI, Dwyer, DE, et al. Treating and preventing influenza in aged care facilities: a cluster randomised controlled trial. PloS One 2012;7:e46509.
6. Bowles, SK, Lee, W, Simor, AE, et al. Use of oseltamivir during influenza outbreaks in Ontario nursing homes, 1999–2000. J Am Geriatr Soc 2002;50:608–616.
7. Gorisek Miksic, N, Ursic, T, Simonovic, Z, et al. Oseltamivir prophylaxis in controlling influenza outbreak in nursing homes: a comparison between three different approaches. Infection 2015;43:73–81.
8. Peters, PH Jr., Gravenstein, S, Norwood, P, et al. Long-term use of oseltamivir for the prophylaxis of influenza in a vaccinated frail older population. J Am Geriatr Soc 2001;49:1025–1031.
10. Harper, SA, Bradley, JS, Englund, JA, et al. Seasonal influenza in adults and children--diagnosis, treatment, chemoprophylaxis, and institutional outbreak management: clinical practice guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:1003–1032.
11. Hayden, FG, Belshe, R, Villanueva, C, et al. Management of influenza in households: a prospective, randomized comparison of oseltamivir treatment with or without postexposure prophylaxis. J Infect Dis 2004;189:440–449.
12. van der Sande, MA, Meijer, A, Sen-Kerpiclik, F, et al. Effectiveness of post-exposition prophylaxis with oseltamivir in nursing homes: a randomised controlled trial over four seasons. Emerg Themes Epidemiol 2014;11:13.
14. Estevez, E. (Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living, Winnipeg, MB). Conversation with: Davinder Singh (University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB). Aug 17, 2016.
15. Monto, AS, Rotthoff, J, Teich, E, et al. Detection and control of influenza outbreaks in well-vaccinated nursing home populations. Clin Infect Dis 2004;39:459–464.
16. van der Sande, MA, Ruijs, WL, Meijer, A, Cools, HJ, van der Plas, SM. Use of oseltamivir in Dutch nursing homes during the 2004–2005 influenza season. Vaccine 2006;24:6664–6669.
17. Welliver, R, Monto, AS, Carewicz, O, et al. Effectiveness of oseltamivir in preventing influenza in household contacts: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2001;285:748–754.
18. Millership, S, Cummins, A. Oseltamivir in influenza outbreaks in care homes: challenges and benefits of use in the real world. J Hosp Infect 2015;90:299–303.
19. Ye, M, Jacobs, A, Khan, MN, et al. Evaluation of the use of oseltamivir prophylaxis in the control of influenza outbreaks in long-term care facilities in Alberta, Canada: a retrospective provincial database analysis. BMJ Open 2016;6:e011686.
20. Canadian Institute for Health Information. Health Workforce Database, 2015: Methodology Guide. Ottawa, ON: CIHI; 2016.
21. Gregg, M. Field Epidemiology. 3rd ed. Toronto, ON: Oxford University Press; 2008.
22. Singh, D, Robinson, K, Hilderman, T. The effect of timing of oseltamivir chemoprophylaxis in controlling influenza A H3N2 outbreaks in long term care facilities in Eastern Manitoba, Canada, 2014–2015: a retrospective cohort study. Can J Infect Control 2016;31:221–224.
23. Gilca, R, Skowronski, DM, Douville-Fradet, M, et al. Mid-season estimates of influenza vaccine effectiveness against influenza A(H3N2) hospitalization in the elderly in Quebec, Canada, January 2015. PloS One 2015;10:e0132195.
24. Smith, PW, Bennett, G, Bradley, S, et al. SHEA/APIC Guideline: infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:504–535.
25. The Regional Office for Europe of the World Health Organization. Prevention and Control of Outbreaks of Seasonal Influenza in Long-Term Care Facilities: A Review of the Evidence and Best-Practice Guidelines. Copenhagen, Denmark: World Health Organization; 2017.