1. Bang AT, Bang RA, Baitule SB, Reddy MH, Deshmukh MD. Effect of home-based neonatal care and management of sepsis on neonatal mortality: Field trial in rural India. Lancet. 1999;354:1955–1961.
2. Bang AT, Reddy HM, Deshmukh MD, Baitule SB, Bang RA. Neonatal and infant mortality in the ten years (1993 to 2003) of the Gadchiroli field trial: Effect of home based neonatal care. J Perinatol. 2005;25:S92–S107.
3. Bhutta ZA, Darmstadt GL, Hasan BS, Haws RA. Community-based interventions for improving perinatal and neonatal health outcomes in developing countries. Pediatrics. 2005;115 (Suppl 2):519–617.
4. Borghi J, Thapa B, Osrin D, et al. Economic evaluation of a women's group intervention to improve birth outcomes in rural Nepal. Lancet. 2005;366:1882–1884.
5. Buchan JMD, Dal Poz MR. Role definition, skill mix, multi-skilling, and new workers. In: Ferriho P, Dal Poz M, eds. Towards a global workforce strategy: Studies in health services organisation and policy. Antwerp: ITG Press; 2003;275–300.
6. Gericke CA, Kurowski C, Ranson MK, Mills A. Feasibility of scaling-up interventions: The role of intervention design. Disease Control Priorities Project Working Paper No. 13. London: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; 2003.
7. Haines A, Sanders D, Lehmann U, et al. Achieving child survival goals: Potential contribution of community health workers. Lancet. 2007;369:2121–2131.
8. Hongoro C, McPake B. How to bridge the gap in human resources for health. Lancet. 2004;364:1451–1456.
9. Kindane G, Morrow RH. Teaching mothers to provide home treatment of malaria in Tigray, Ethiopia: A randomised trial. Lancet. 2000;356:550–555.
10. Lewin SA, Dick J, Pond P, et al. Lay health workers in primary and community health care. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005;1:CD004015.
11. Mabunda S, Casimiro S, Quinto L, Alonso P. A country wide malaria survey in Mozambique I. Plasmodium falciparum infection in children across different epidemiological settings. Malaria J. 2008;7:216.
12. Manandhar DS, Osrin D, Shrestha BP, et al. Effect of a participatory intervention with women's groups on birth outcomes in Nepal: Cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2004;364:970–979.
13. Ministry of Health. Malaria situation analysis in Mozambique report. Maputo: Ministry of Health; 2007.
14. Ministry of Health. Strategic plan for malaria control in Mozambique 2006–2010. Maputo: Ministry of Health; 2005.
15. Ministry of Planning and Development. Poverty and millennium development goals. Statistic information 2009. Maputo: MPD; 2009.
16. National Institute of Statistics and National Institute of Health. National causes of deaths community survey report. Maputo: NIS/NIH; 2009.
17. Patouillard E, Goodman CA, Hanson KG, Mills AJ. Can working with the private for-profit sector improve utilization of quality health services by the poor? A systematic review of the literature. Int J Equity Health. 2007;6:17.
18. Sazawal S, Black RE. Effect of pneumonia case management on mortality in neonates, infants, and preschool children: A meta-analysis of community-based trials. Lancet Infect Dis. 2003;3:547–556.
19. Walker DG, Jan S. The cost-effectiveness of community health workers: A review of the evidence and methodological critique. J Community Health. 2005;30:221–229.
20. Winch PJ, Gilroy KE, Wolfheim C, et al. Intervention models for the management of children with signs of pneumonia or malaria by community health workers. Health Policy Plan. 2005;20:199–212.
21. World Health Organization. Guidelines for the treatment of malaria. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2006.