1. Bang, AT, Bang, RA, Baitule, SB, Reddy, MH, Deshmukh, MD. Effect of home-based neonatal care and management of sepsis on neonatal mortality: Field trial in rural India. Lancet. 1999;354:1955–1961.
2. Bang, AT, Reddy, HM, Deshmukh, MD, Baitule, SB, Bang, RA. Neonatal and infant mortality in the ten years (1993 to 2003) of the Gadchiroli field trial: Effect of home based neonatal care. J Perinatol. 2005;25:S92–S107.
3. Bhutta, ZA, Darmstadt, GL, Hasan, BS, Haws, RA. Community-based interventions for improving perinatal and neonatal health outcomes in developing countries. Pediatrics. 2005;115 (Suppl 2):519–617.
4. Borghi, J, Thapa, B, Osrin, D, et al. Economic evaluation of a women's group intervention to improve birth outcomes in rural Nepal. Lancet. 2005;366:1882–1884.
5. Buchan, JMD, Dal Poz, MR. Role definition, skill mix, multi-skilling, and new workers. In: Ferriho, P, Dal Poz, M, eds. Towards a global workforce strategy: Studies in health services organisation and policy. Antwerp: ITG Press; 2003;275–300.
6. Gericke, CA, Kurowski, C, Ranson, MK, Mills, A. Feasibility of scaling-up interventions: The role of intervention design. Disease Control Priorities Project Working Paper No. 13. London: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; 2003.
7. Haines, A, Sanders, D, Lehmann, U, et al. Achieving child survival goals: Potential contribution of community health workers. Lancet. 2007;369:2121–2131.
8. Hongoro, C, McPake, B. How to bridge the gap in human resources for health. Lancet. 2004;364:1451–1456.
9. Kindane, G, Morrow, RH. Teaching mothers to provide home treatment of malaria in Tigray, Ethiopia: A randomised trial. Lancet. 2000;356:550–555.
10. Lewin, SA, Dick, J, Pond, P, et al. Lay health workers in primary and community health care. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005;1:CD004015.
11. Mabunda, S, Casimiro, S, Quinto, L, Alonso, P. A country wide malaria survey in Mozambique I. Plasmodium falciparum infection in children across different epidemiological settings. Malaria J. 2008;7:216.
12. Manandhar, DS, Osrin, D, Shrestha, BP, et al. Effect of a participatory intervention with women's groups on birth outcomes in Nepal: Cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2004;364:970–979.
13. Ministry of Health. Malaria situation analysis in Mozambique report. Maputo: Ministry of Health; 2007.
14. Ministry of Health. Strategic plan for malaria control in Mozambique 2006–2010. Maputo: Ministry of Health; 2005.
15. Ministry of Planning and Development. Poverty and millennium development goals. Statistic information 2009. Maputo: MPD; 2009.
16. National Institute of Statistics and National Institute of Health. National causes of deaths community survey report. Maputo: NIS/NIH; 2009.
17. Patouillard, E, Goodman, CA, Hanson, KG, Mills, AJ. Can working with the private for-profit sector improve utilization of quality health services by the poor? A systematic review of the literature. Int J Equity Health. 2007;6:17.
18. Sazawal, S, Black, RE. Effect of pneumonia case management on mortality in neonates, infants, and preschool children: A meta-analysis of community-based trials. Lancet Infect Dis. 2003;3:547–556.
19. Walker, DG, Jan, S. The cost-effectiveness of community health workers: A review of the evidence and methodological critique. J Community Health. 2005;30:221–229.
20. Winch, PJ, Gilroy, KE, Wolfheim, C, et al. Intervention models for the management of children with signs of pneumonia or malaria by community health workers. Health Policy Plan. 2005;20:199–212.
21. World Health Organization. Guidelines for the treatment of malaria. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2006.