Since 1984 the Society for Political Methodology has held an annual summer conference. These conferences have been generously supported by the host institution, and by the National Science Foundation. This page contains the programs and information for each of these meetings.
2018 Summer Methods Meeting
The 2018 Summer Meeting will be hosted by Brigham Young University, July 18th-21st 2018 at the Provo Marriot, Utah. More information can be found here.
SPM Statement on Brigham Young University and Polmeth XXXV.
Please read this joint statement by SPM, BYU and the APSA LGBT Status Committee.
Program Committee: Cassy Dorff, Justin Esarey, Jay Goodliffe (Chair), Alex Tahk, Rocio Titiunik, Curt Signorino, Betsy Sinclair, Teppei Yamamoto
The 2019 Summer Meeting will be held at MIT.
The 2020 Summer Meeting will be held at the University of Toronto.
Past Summer Meetings
- 2017 hosted by University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2016 hosted by Rice University
- 2015 hosted by University of Rochester
- 2014 hosted by University of Georgia
- 2013 hosted by University of Virginia
- 2012 hosted by UNC Chapel Hill and Duke University
- 2011 hosted by Princeton University
- 2010 hosted by the University of Iowa
- 2009 hosted by Yale University
- 2008 hosted by the University of Michigan
- 2007 hosted by Pennsylvania State University
- 2006 hosted by the University of California, Davis
- 2005 hosted by Florida State University
- 2004 hosted by Stanford University
- 2003 hosted by the University of Minnesota
- 2002 hosted by the University of Washington
- 2001 hosted by Emory University
- 2000 hosted by the University of California, Los Angeles
- 1999 hosted by Texas A&M University
- 1998 hosted by the University of California, San Diego
- 1997 hosted by The Ohio State University
- 1996 hosted by the University of Michigan
- 1995 hosted by Indiana University
- 1994 hosted by the University of Wisconsin, Madison
- 1993 hosted by Florida State University
- 1992 hosted by Harvard University
- 1991 hosted by Duke University
- 1990 hosted by Washington University in St. Louis
- 1989 hosted by the University of Minnesota
- 1988 hosted by the University of California, Los Angeles
- 1987 hosted by Duke University
- 1986 hosted by Harvard University
- 1985 hosted by the University of California, Berkeley
- 1984 hosted by the University of Michigan
The National Science Foundation recently agreed to fund smaller thematic meetings similar in character to the annual summer conference 25 years ago. The Society is accepting proposals for these meetings.
Past Thematic Meetings
- 2015 Conference on Ideal Point Models
- 2013 Causality in Political Networks conference
- 2010 Path Dependence Conference hosted by the University of Minnesota
Visions in Methodology Meeting
Visions in Methodology (VIM) supports women who study political methodology. In addition to providing a forum to share scholarly work, VIM connects women in a field where they are under-represented. VIM provides opportunities for scholarly progress, networking, and professional mentoring in research and teaching in order to support women in the political methodology community. Averaging about 30 participants, VIM's three-day conference feature research presentations and discussions on both methodological and substantive topics.
Past Visions in Methodology Meetings
- 2018 Conference at Ohio State University
- 2017 Conference at Stony Brook University
- 2016 Conference at UC Davis
- 2015 Conference at the University of Kentucky
- 2014 Conference at McMaster University
- 2013 Conference at Florida State University
- 2012 Conference at Pennsylvania State University
- 2011 Conference at Ohio State University
- 2010 Conference at the University of Iowa
- 2008 Conference at Ohio State University
National Science Foundation Support
The National Science Foundation support has expanded the reach, impact and excellence of the Society’s conference activities since 1986.