This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
6. H Mallatou , CP Pappas , E Kondyli , et al. (1997) Pesticide residues in milk and cheeses from Greece. Sci Total Environ 196, 111–117.
8. MJ Melgar , M Santaeufemia & MA García (2010) Organophosphorus pesticide residues in raw milk and infant formulas from Spanish northwest. J Environ Sci Health B 45, 595–600.
10. AD Dangour , SK Dodhia , A Hayter , et al. (2009) Nutritional quality of organic foods: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 680–685.
14. C Smith-Spangler , ML Brandeau , GE Hunter , et al. (2012) Are organic foods safer or healthier than conventional alternatives? A systematic review. Ann Intern Med 157, 348–366.
16. PW Parodi (2009) Has the association between saturated fatty acids, serum cholesterol and coronary heart disease been over emphasized? Int Dairy J 19, 345–361.
17. JB German , RA Gibson , RM Krauss , et al. (2009) A reappraisal of the impact of dairy foods and milk fat on cardiovascular disease risk. Eur J Nutr 48, 191–203.
18. KE Kliem & DI Givens (2011) Dairy products in the food chain: their impact on health. Annu Rev Food Sci Technol 2, 21–36.
21. MA Belury (2002) Dietary conjugated linoleic acid in health: physiological effects and mechanisms of action. Annu Rev Nutr 22, 505–531.
23. S Benjamin , P Prakasan , S Sreedharan , et al. (2015) Pros and cons of CLA consumption: an insight from clinical evidences. Nutr Metab (Lond) 12, 4.
25. A Bhattacharya , J Banu , M Rahman , et al. (2006) Biological effects of conjugated linoleic acids in health and disease. J Nutr Biochem 17, 789–810.
27. G Butler , JH Nielsen , MK Larsen , et al. (2011) The effects of dairy management and processing on quality characteristics of milk and dairy products. NJAS-Wagen J Life Sci 58, 97–102.
28. CM Benbrook , G Butler , MA Latif , et al. (2013) Organic production enhances milk nutritional quality by shifting fatty acid composition: a United States-wide, 18-month study. PLOS ONE 8, e82429.
30. G Butler , JH Nielsen , T Slots , et al. (2008) Fatty acid and fat-soluble antioxidant concentrations in milk from high- and low-input conventional and organic systems: seasonal variation. J Sci Food Agric 88, 1431–1441.
32. T Slots , G Butler , C Leifert , et al. (2009) Potentials to differentiate milk composition by different feeding strategies. J Dairy Sci 92, 2057–2066.
36. G Stewart (2010) Meta-analysis in applied ecology. Biol Lett 6, 78–81.
38. W Viechtbauer (2010) Conducting meta-analyses in R with the metafor package. J Stat Softw 36, 1–48.
39. LV Hedges & I Olkin (1985) Statistical Methods for Meta-Analysis. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
40. J Sanchez-Meca & F Marin-Martinez (2010) Meta-analysis. In International Encyclopedia of Education, 3rd ed. pp. 274–282 [P Peterson, E Baker and B McGaw, editors]. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
42. LV Hedges , J Gurevitch & PS Curtis (1999) The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology 80, 1150–1156.
48. F Glasser , M Doreau , A Ferlay , et al. (2007) Technical note: estimation of milk fatty acid yield from milk fat data. J Dairy Sci 90, 2302–2304.
49.European Food Safety Authority (2010) Scientific opinion on dietary reference values for fats, including saturated fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, monounsaturated fatty acids, trans fatty acids, and cholesterol. EFSA J 8, 1461.
50. GH Anderson (1994) Dietary patterns vs. dietary recommendations: identifying the gaps for complex carbohydrate. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 34, 435–440.
53. GP Walker , FR Dunshea & PT Doyle (2004) Effects of nutrition and management on the production and composition of milk fat and protein: a review. Aust J Agric Res 55, 1009–1028.
54. RJ Dewhurst , KJ Shingfield , MRF Lee , et al. (2006) Increasing the concentrations of beneficial polyunsaturated fatty acids in milk produced by dairy cows in high-forage systems. Anim Feed Sci Technol 131, 168–206.
55. SK Jensen , AK Johannsen & JE Hermansen (1999) Quantitative secretion and maximal secretion capacity of retinol, beta-carotene and alpha-tocopherol into cows’ milk. J Dairy Res 66, 511–522.
57. SA Adler , SK Jensen , E Govasmark , et al. (2013) Effect of short-term versus long-term grassland management and seasonal variation in organic and conventional dairy farming on the composition of bulk tank milk. J Dairy Sci 96, 5793–5810.
59. G Flachowsky , K Franke , U Meyer , et al. (2014) Influencing factors on iodine content of cow milk. Eur J Nutr 53, 351–365.
69. SK Raatz , JT Silverstein , L Jahns , et al. (2013) Issues of fish consumption for cardiovascular disease risk reduction. Nutrients 5, 1081–1097.
70. TM Brasky , C Till , E White , et al. (2011) Serum phospholipid fatty acids and prostate cancer risk: results from the prostate cancer prevention trial. Am J Epidemiol 173, 1429–1439.
71. TM Brasky , AK Darke , X Song , et al. (2013) Plasma phospholipid fatty acids and prostate cancer risk in the SELECT trial. J Natl Cancer Inst 105, 1132–1141.
72. P Bergamo , E Fedele , L Iannibelli , et al. (2003) Fat-soluble vitamin contents and fatty acid composition in organic and conventional Italian dairy products. Food Chem 82, 625–631.
75. JT Brenna , N Salem Jr, AJ Sinclair , et al. (2009) alpha-Linolenic acid supplementation and conversion to n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in humans. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 80, 85–91.
77. LWJ van den Elsen , BCAM van Esch , GA Hofman , et al. (2013) Dietary long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids prevent allergic sensitization to cow’s milk protein in mice. Clin Exp Allergy 43, 798–810.
83. AP Simopoulos (2002) The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. Biomed Pharmacother 56, 365–379.
85. I Kummeling , C Thijs , M Huber , et al. (2008) Consumption of organic foods and risk of atopic disease during the first 2 years of life in the Netherlands. Br J Nutr 99, 598–605.
87. AL Brantsæter , H Torjusen , HM Meltzer , et al. (2015) Organic food consumption during pregnancy and hypospadias and cryptorchidism at birth: the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa). Environ Health Perspect (Epublication ahead of print version 9 July 2015).
88. RE Lawson , AR Moss & DI Givens (2001) The role of dairy products in supplying conjugated linoleic acid to man’s diet: a review. Nutr Res Rev 14, 153–172.
90. JK Willcox , SL Ash & GL Catignani (2004) Antioxidants and prevention of chronic disease. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 44, 275–295.
92. MPJ Vanderpump , JH Lazarus , PP Smyth , et al. (2011) Iodine status of UK schoolgirls: a cross-sectional survey. Lancet 377, 2007–2012.
95. M Vinceti , ET Wei , C Malagoli , et al. (2001) Adverse health effects of selenium in humans. Rev Environ Health 16, 233–251.
96. DIW Phillips , M Nelson , DJP Barker , et al. (1988) Iodine in milk and the incidence of thyrotoxicosis in England. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 28, 61–66.
98. MB Zimmermann (2009) Iodine deficiency. Endocr Rev 30, 376–408.