This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JS Tweddell , GM Hoffman , RT Fedderly , et al. Phenoxybenzamine improves systemic oxygen delivery after the Norwood procedure. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67: 161–167; discussion 167–168.
3. GM Hoffman , JS Tweddell , NS Ghanayem , et al. Alteration of the critical arteriovenous oxygen saturation relationship by sustained afterload reduction after the Norwood procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2004; 127: 738–745.
4. JS Tweddell , NS Ghanayem , KA Mussatto , et al. Mixed venous oxygen saturation monitoring after stage 1 palliation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 84: 1301–1310; discussion 1310–1301.
5. GM Hoffman , KA Mussatto , CL Brosig , et al. Systemic venous oxygen saturation after the Norwood procedure and childhood neurodevelopmental outcome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005; 130: 1094–1100.
6. NS Ghanayem , GM Hoffman , KA Mussatto , et al. Perioperative monitoring in high-risk infants after stage 1 palliation of univentricular congenital heart disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 140: 857–863.
7. GM Hoffman , NS Ghanayem , JM Kampine , et al. Venous saturation and the anaerobic threshold in neonates after the Norwood procedure for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg 2000; 70: 1515–1520; discussion 1521.
12. MJ Stampfer , GA Colditz . Estrogen replacement therapy and coronary heart disease: a quantitative assessment of the epidemiologic evidence. Prev Med 1991; 20: 47–63.
13. D Grady , SM Rubin , DB Petitti , et al. Hormone therapy to prevent disease and prolong life in postmenopausal women. Ann Intern Med 1992; 117: 1016–1037.
14. BM Psaty , SR Heckbert , D Atkins , et al. The risk of myocardial infarction associated with the combined use of estrogens and progestins in postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med 1994; 154: 1333–1339.
15. S Sidney , DB Petitti , CP Quesenberry Jr. Myocardial infarction and the use of estrogen and estrogen–progestogen in postmenopausal women. Ann Intern Med 1997; 127: 501–508.
16. JA Cauley , SR Cummings , DM Black , SR Mascioli , DG Seeley . Prevalence and determinants of estrogen replacement therapy in elderly women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1990; 163 (Pt 1): 1438–1444.
17. E Barrett-Connor . Postmenopausal estrogen and prevention bias. Ann Intern Med 1991; 115: 455–456.
18. DB Petitti . Coronary heart disease and estrogen replacement therapy. Can compliance bias explain the results of observational studies? Ann Epidemiol 1994; 4: 115–118.
19. V Beral , E Banks , G Reeves . Evidence from randomised trials on the long-term effects of hormone replacement therapy. Lancet 2002; 360: 942–944.
21. RG Ohye , LA Sleeper , L Mahony , et al. Comparison of shunt types in the Norwood procedure for single-ventricle lesions. N Engl J Med 2010; 362: 1980–1992.
22. LJ Addonizio . Pediatric ventricular assist devices – first steps for babies. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 567–568.
23. CS Almond , H Buchholz , P Massicotte , et al. Berlin heart EXCOR pediatric ventricular assist device investigational device exemption study: study design and rationale. Am Heart J 2011; 162: 425–435; e426.
25. CD Fraser , RDB Jaquiss , DN Rosenthal , et al. Prospective trial of a pediatric ventricular assist device. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 532–541.
28. A Sedrakyan , T Treasure , JA Elefteriades . Effect of aprotinin on clinical outcomes in coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2004; 128: 442–448.
29. DT Mangano , IC Tudor , C Dietzel . The risk associated with aprotinin in cardiac surgery. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 353–365.
30. DT Mangano , Y Miao , A Vuylsteke , et al. Mortality associated with aprotinin during 5 years following coronary artery bypass graft surgery. JAMA 2007; 297: 471–479.
31. JE Bekelman , Y Li , CP Gross . Scope and impact of financial conflicts of interest in biomedical research: a systematic review. JAMA 2003; 289: 454–465.
32. DA Fergusson , PC Hebert , CD Mazer , et al. A comparison of aprotinin and lysine analogues in high-risk cardiac surgery. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2319–2331.
33. K Benson , AJ Hartz . A comparison of observational studies and randomized, controlled trials. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 1878–1886.
34. J Concato , N Shah , RI Horwitz . Randomized, controlled trials, observational studies, and the hierarchy of research designs. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 1887–1892.
35. JP Ioannidis , AB Haidich , M Pappa , et al. Comparison of evidence of treatment effects in randomized and nonrandomized studies. JAMA 2001; 286: 821–830.
36. P Tricoci , JM Allen , JM Kramer , RM Califf , SC Smith Jr. Scientific evidence underlying the ACC/AHA clinical practice guidelines. JAMA 2009; 301: 831–841.
37. BG Hammill , AF Hernandez , ED Peterson , GC Fonarow , KA Schulman , LH Curtis . Linking inpatient clinical registry data to Medicare claims data using indirect identifiers. Am Heart J 2009; 157: 995–1000.
38. RS Dokholyan , LH Muhlbaier , JM Falletta , et al. Regulatory and ethical considerations for linking clinical and administrative databases. Am Heart J 2009; 157: 971–982.
39. AF Hernandez , BG Hammill , ED Peterson , et al. Relationships between emerging measures of heart failure processes of care and clinical outcomes. Am Heart J 2010; 159: 406–413.
40. SK Pasquali , JP Jacobs , GJ Shook , et al. Linking clinical registry data with administrative data using indirect identifiers: implementation and validation in the congenital heart surgery population. Am Heart J 2010; 160: 1099–1104.
41. SK Pasquali , JS Li , X He , et al. Comparative analysis of antifibrinolytic medications in pediatric heart surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 143: 550–557.
42. JR Kaltman , DB Andropoulos , PA Checchia , et al. Report of the Pediatric Heart Network and National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Working Group on the perioperative management of congenital heart disease. Circulation 2010; 121: 2766–2772.