1. Hadj A, Pepe S, Rosenfeldt F. The clinical application of metabolic therapy for cardiovascular disease. Heart Lung Circ 2007; 16 (Suppl): S56–S64.
2. Singh U, Devaraj S, Jialal I. Coenzyme Q10 supplementation and heart failure. Nutr Rev 2007; 65: 286–293.
3. Bhagavan HN, Chopra RK. Potential role of ubiquinone (coenzyme Q10) in pediatric cardiomyopathy. Clin Nutr 2005; 24: 331–338.
4. Langsjoen PH, Vadhanavikit S, Folkers K. Response of patients in classes III and IV of cardiomyopathy to therapy in a blind and crossover trial with coenzyme 10. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1985; 82: 4240–4244.
5. Poggesi L, Galanti G, Comeglio M, Toncelli L, Vinci M. Effect of coenzyme Q10 on left ventricular function in patients with dilative cardiomyopathy. Current Therapeutic Research 1991; 49: 878–886.
6. Permanetter B, Rossy W, Klein G, Weingartner F, Seidl KF, Blomer H. Ubiquinone (coenzyme q10) in the long-term treatment of idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J 1992; 13: 1528–1533.
7. Munkholm H, Hansen HHT, Rasmussen K. Coenzyme Q10 treatment in serious heart failure. BioFactors 1999; 9: 285–289.
8. Watson PS, Scalia GM, Galbraith A, Burstow DJ, Bett N, Aroney CN. Lack of effect of coenzyme Q on left ventricular function in patients with congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Card 1999; 33: 1549–1552.
9. Keogh A, Fenton S, Leslie C, et al. Randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of coenzyme Q10 therapy in class II and III systolic heart failure. Heart Lung Circ 2003; 12: 135–141.
10. Elshershari H, Ozer S, Ozkutlu S, Ozme S. Potential usefulness of coenzyme Q10 in the treatment of idiopathic dilated cardomyopathy in children. Int J Cardiol 2003; 88: 101–102.
11. Soongswang J, Sangtawesin C, Durongpisitkul K, et al. The effect of coenzyme Q10 on idiopathic chronic dilated cardiomyopathy in children. Pediatr Cardiol 2005; 26: 361–366.
12. Richardson P, McKenna W, Bristow M, et al. Report of the 1995 World Health Organization/International Society and Federation of Cardiology Task Force on the Definition and Classification of Cardiomyopathies. Circulation 1996; 93: 841–842.
13. Connolly D, Rutkowski M, Auslender M, Artman M. The New York University Pediatric Heart Failure Index: A new method of quantifying chronic heart failure severity in children. J Pediatr 2001; 138: 644–648.
14. O’Leary PW. Pediatric diastology: use and limitations of Doppler echocardiography in the evaluation of ventricular diastolic function in children. Prog Pediatr Cardiol 1999; 10: 83–93.
15. O’Leary PW, Durongpisitkul K, Cordes TM, et al. Diastolic ventricular function in children: a Doppler echocardiographic study establishing normal values and predictors of increased ventricular end-diastolic pressure. Mayo Clin Proc 1998; 73: 616–628.
16. Tei C, Ling LH, Hodge DO, et al. New index of combined systolic and diastolic myocardial performance: a simple and reproducible measure of cardiac function – a study in normals and dilated cardiomyopathy. J Cardiol 1995; 26: 357–366.
17. Colan SD, Parness IA, Spevak PJ, Sanders SP. Developmental modulation of myocardial mechanics: age and growth-related alterations in afterload and contractility. J Am Coll Cardiol 1992; 19: 619–629.
18. Tissières P, Aggoun Y, Da Cruz E, et al. Comparison of classifications for heart failure in children undergoing valvular surgery. J Pediatr 2006; 149: 210–215.
19. Little WC, Cheng C-P. Diastolic dysfunction. Cardiol Rev 1998; 6: 231–239.
20. Vivekananthan K, Kalapura T, Mehra M, et al. Usefulness of the combined index of systolic and diastolic myocardial performance to identify cardiac allograft rejection. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90: 517–520.
21. Peltier M, Slama M, Garbi S, Enriquez-Sarano ML, Goissen T, Tribouilloy CM. Prognostic value of Doppler-derived myocardial performance index in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90: 1261–1263.
22. Redfield MM, Jacobsen SJ, JrBurnett JC, Mahoney DW, Bailey KR, Rodeheffer RJ. Burden of systolic and diastolic ventricular dysfunction in the community: appreciating the scope of the heart failure epidemic. JAMA 2003; 289: 194–202.
23. Fischer M, Baessler A, Hense HW, et al. Prevalence of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in the community: results from a Doppler echocardiographic-based survey of a population sample. Eur Heart J 2003; 24: 320–328.
24. Zile MR, Brutsaert DL. New concepts in diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure: Part II: causal mechanisms and treatment. Circulation 2002; 105: 1503–1508.
25. Auslender M. Pathophysiology of pediatric heart failure. Prog Pediatr Cardiol 2002; 11: 175–184.
26. Bhagavan HN, Chopra RK. Coenzyme Q10: absorption, tissue uptake, metabolism and pharmacokinetics. Free Radic Res 2006; 40: 445–453.
27. Silver MA, Langsjoen PH, Szabo S, Patil H, Zelinger A. Effect of Atorvastatin on left ventricular diastolic function and ability of coenzyme Q10 to reverse that dysfunction. Am J Cardiol 2004; 94: 1306–1310.
28. Langsjoen PH, Langsjoen PH, Folkers K. Isolated diastolic dysfunction of the myocardium and its response to CoQ10 treatment. Clin Invest 1993; 71 (Suppl): S140–S144.
29. Oda T. Recovery of load-induced left ventricular diastolic dysfunction by coenzyme Q10: echocardiographic study. Mol Aspects Med 1994; 15 (Suppl): S149–S154.
30. Lönnrot K, Pörsti I, Alho H, Wu X, Hervonen A, Tolvanen JP. Control of arterial tone after long-term coenzyme Q10 supplementation in senescent rats. Br J Pharmacol 1998; 124: 1500–1506.
31. Belardinelli R, Tiano L, Littarru GP. Oxidative stress, endothelial function and coenzyme Q10. Biofactors 2008; 32: 129–133.
32. Tiano L, Belardinelli R, Carnevali P, Principi F, Seddaiu G, Littarru GP. Effect of coenzyme Q10 administration on endothelial function and extracellular superoxide dismutase in patients with ischaemic heart disease: a double-blind, randomized controlled study. Eur Heart J 2007; 28: 2249–2255.
33. Grodecki PV, Klein AL. Pitfalls in the echo-Doppler assessment of diastolic dysfunction. Echocardiography 1993; 10: 213–234.