This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. RR Liberthson . Sudden death from cardiac causes in children and young adults. N Engl J Med 1996; 334: 1039–1044.
3. D Corrado , F Migliore , M Bevilacqua , et al. Sudden cardiac death in athletes: can it be prevented by screening? Herz 2009; 34: 259–266.
5. D Corrado , C Basso , G Rizzoli , et al. Does sports activity enhance the risk of sudden death in adolescents and young adults? J Am Coll Cardiol 2003; 42: 1959–1963.
10. PG Postema
, C Wolpert
, AS Amin
, et al
. Drugs and Brugada syndrome patients: review of the literature, recommendations, and an up-to-date website
). Heart Rhythm 2009
12. V Probst , I Denjoy , PG Meregalli , et al. Clinical aspects and prognosis of Brugada syndrome in children. Circulation 2007; 115: 2042–2048.
13. DP Zipes , MJ Ackerman , NA Estes 3rd, et al. Task Force 7: arrhythmias. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45: 1354–1363.
14. PJ Schwartz , M Stramba-Badiale , L Crotti , et al. Prevalence of the congenital long-QT syndrome. Circulation 2009; 120: 1761–1767.
18. JD Kapplinger , DJ Tester , BA Salisbury , et al. Spectrum and prevalence of mutations from the first 2,500 consecutive unrelated patients referred for the FAMILION long QT syndrome genetic test. Heart Rhythm 2009; 6: 1297–1303.
19. I Goldenberg , AJ Moss , DR Peterson , et al. Risk factors for aborted cardiac arrest and sudden cardiac death in children with the congenital long-QT syndrome. Circulation 2008; 117: 2184–2191.
21. C Templin , JR Ghadri , JS Rougier , et al. Identification of a novel loss-of-function calcium channel gene mutation in short QT syndrome (SQTS6). Eur Heart J 2011; 32: 1077–1088.
23. MH Gollob , CJ Redpath , JD Roberts . The short QT syndrome: proposed diagnostic criteria. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 57: 802–812.
27. A Celiker , I Erdogan , T Karagoz , et al. Clinical experiences of patients with catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia. Cardiol Young 2009; 19: 45–52.
30. AA Wilde , CR Bezzina . Genetics of cardiac arrhythmias. Heart 2005; 91: 1352–1358.
Y Bar-Cohen , MJ Silka . Sudden cardiac death in pediatrics. Curr Opin Pediatr
2008; 20: 517–521.
35. DJ Tester , MJ Ackerman . Cardiomyopathic and channelopathic causes of sudden unexplained death in infants and children. Annu Rev Med 2009; 60: 69–84.
36. BJ Maron . Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Lancet 1997; 350: 127–133.
37. JA Decker , JW Rossano , EO Smith , et al. Risk factors and mode of death in isolated hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in children. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 54: 250–254.
38. JP Moak , ES Leifer , D Tripodi , et al. Long-term follow-up of children and adolescents diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: risk factors for adverse arrhythmic events. Pediatr Cardiol 2011; 32: 1096–1105.
39. PO Lim , JA Morris-Thurgood , MP Frenneaux . Vascular mechanisms of sudden death in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, including blood pressure responses to exercise. Cardiol Rev 2002; 10: 15–23.
41. M Santini , M Russo , G Botto , et al. Clinical and arrhythmic outcomes after implantation of a defibrillator for primary prevention of sudden death in patients with post-myocardial infarction cardiomyopathy: The Survey to Evaluate Arrhythmia Rate in High-risk MI patients (SEARCH-MI). Europace 2009; 11: 476–482.
43. A Pelliccia , D Corrado , HH Bjornstad , et al. Recommendations for participation in competitive sport and leisure-time physical activity in individuals with cardiomyopathies, myocarditis and pericarditis. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2006; 13: 876–885.
44. E Pahl , LA Sleeper , CE Canter , et al. Incidence of and risk factors for sudden cardiac death in children with dilated cardiomyopathy a report from the pediatric cardiomyopathy registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 59: 607–615.
45. JA Towbin , AM Lowe , SD Colan , et al. Incidence, causes, and outcomes of dilated cardiomyopathy in children. JAMA 2006; 296: 1867–1876.
47. JL Jefferies , JA Towbin . Dilated cardiomyopathy. Lancet 2010; 375: 752–762.
53. B Maisch , G Hufnagel , S Kolsch , et al. Treatment of inflammatory dilated cardiomyopathy and (peri)myocarditis with immunosuppression and i.v. immunoglobulins. Herz 2004; 29: 624–636.
62. G Thiene , D Corrado , C Basso . Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2007; 2: 45.
64. B Bauce , A Nava , G Beffagna , et al. Multiple mutations in desmosomal proteins encoding genes in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia. Heart Rhythm 2010; 7: 22–29.
65. RM Hamilton . Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2009; 32 (Suppl 2): S44–S51.
68. BJ Maron . Sudden death in young athletes. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 1064–1075.
70. P Zeppilli , A dello Russo , C Santini , et al. In vivo detection of coronary artery anomalies in asymptomatic athletes by echocardiographic screening. Chest 1998; 114: 89–93.
76. D Corrado , C Basso , A Pavei , et al. Trends in sudden cardiovascular death in young competitive athletes after implementation of a preparticipation screening program. JAMA 2006; 296: 1593–1601.
77. JA Drezner , JS Chun , KG Harmon , et al. Survival trends in the United States following exercise-related sudden cardiac arrest in the youth: 2000–2006. Heart Rhythm 2008; 5: 794–799.
78. D Corrado , C Schmied , C Basso , et al. Risk of sports: do we need a pre-participation screening for competitive and leisure athletes? Eur Heart J 2011; 32: 934–944.
79. BJ Maron . Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in childhood. Pediatr Clin North Am 2004; 51: 1305–1346.
81. MR Kramer , Y Drori , B Lev . Sudden death in young soldiers. High incidence of syncope prior to death. Chest 1988; 93: 345–347.