This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CB Hall , GA Weinberg , MK Iwane , et al. The burden of respiratory syncytial virus infection in young children. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 588–598.
2. DL Schanzer , JM Langley , TWS Tam . Hospitalization attributable to influenza and other viral respiratory illnesses in Canadian children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2006; 25: 795–800.
3. MK Iwane , KM Edwards , PG Szilagyi , et al. New Vaccine Surveillance Network. Population-based surveillance for hospitalizations associated with respiratory syncytial virus, influenza virus, and parainfluenza viruses among young children. Pediatrics 2004; 113: 1758–1764.
4. H Nair , DJ Nokes , BD Gessner , et al. Global burden of acute lower respiratory infections due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 2010; 375: 1545–1555.
5. RC Welliver . Review of epidemiology and clinical risk factors for severe respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection. J Pediatr 2003; 143: S112–S117.
6. AK Cabalka . Physiologic risk factors for respiratory viral infections and immunoprophylaxis for respiratory syncytial virus in young children with congenital heart disease. Ped Infect Dis J 2004; 23: S41–S45.
7. R-KR Chang , AY Chen . Impact of Palivizumab on RSV hospitalizations for children with hemodynamically significant congenital heart disease. Pediatr Cardiol 2010; 31: 90–95.
8. K Kristensen , T Hjuler , H Ravn , EAF Simoes , LG Stensballe . Chronic diseases, chromosomal abnormalities, and congenital malformations as risk factors for respiratory syncytial virus hospitalization: A population-based cohort study. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54: 810–817.
9. A Meberg , AL Bruu . Respiratory syncytial virus infections in congenital heart defects-hospitalizations and costs. Acta Paediatr 2006; 95: 404–406.
10. K Thorburn . Pre-existing disease is associated with a significantly higher risk of death in severe respiratory syncytial virus infection. Arch Dis Child 2009; 94: 99–103.
11. L Navas , E Wang , V de Carvalho , J Robinson . Improved outcome of respiratory syncytial virus infection in a high-risk hospitalized population of Canadian children. J Pediatr 1992; 121: 348–354.
12. NE MacDonald , CB Hall , SC Suffin , C Alexson , PJ Harris , JA Manning . Respiratory syncytial viral infection in infants with congenital heart disease. N Engl J Med 1982; 307: 397–400.
13. C Medrano , L Garcia-Guereta , J Grueso , et al. The CIVIC Study Group from the Spanish Society of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease. Respiratory infection in congenital cardiac disease. Hospitalizations in young children in Spain during 2004 and 2005: the CIVIC Epidemiologic Study. Cardiol Young 2007; 17: 360–371.
14. TF Feltes , AK Cabalka , HC Meissner , et al. Cardiac Synagis Group. Palivizumab prophylaxis reduces hospitalization due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children with hemodynamically significant congenital heart disease. J Pediatr 2003; 143: 532–540.
15.Committee on Infectious Diseases. From the American Academy of Pediatrics: Policy statements – modified recommendations for use of palivizumab for prevention of respiratory syncytial virus infections. Pediatrics 2009; 124: 1694–1701.
17. J Figueras Aloy , J Quero , E Doménech , et al. Comité de Estándares de la Sociedad Española de Neonatología [Recommendations for the prevention of respiratory syncytial virus infection]. An Pediatr (Barc) 2005; 63: 357–362.
19. M Nakazawa , T Saji , F Ichida , K Oyama , K Harada , S Kususda . Guidelines for the use of palivizumab in infants and young children with congenital heart disease. Pediatr Int 2006; 48: 190–193.
21. RM Tulloh , TF Feltes . The European Forum for Clinical Management: prophylaxis against the respiratory syncytial virus in infants and young children with congenital cardiac disease. Cardiol Young 2005; 15: 274–278.
22. ML Butt , A Symington , M Janes , L Elliott , S Steele , BA Paes . The impact of prophylaxis on paediatric intensive care unit admissions for respiratory syncytial virus infection: a retrospective, single-centre study. Eur J Pediatr 2011; 170: 907–913.
23. TF Feltes , HM Sondheimer , RM Tulloh , et al. Motavizumab Cardiac Study Group. A randomized controlled trial of motavizumab versus palivizumab for the prophylaxis of serious respiratory syncytial virus disease in children with hemodynamically significant congenital heart disease. Pediatr Res 2011; 70: 186–191.
24. C Medrano López , L García-Guereta ; CIVIC Study Group. Community-acquired respiratory infections in young children with congenital heart diseases in the palivizumab era: the Spanish 4-season civic epidemiologic study. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2010; 29: 1077–1082.
25. PM Alexander , L Eastaugh , J Royle , AJ Daley , LS Shekerdemian , DJ Penny . Respiratory syncytial virus immunoprophylaxis in high-risk infants with heart disease. J Paediatr Child Health 2012; 48: 395–401.
26. SA Cohen , R Zanni , A Cohen , et al; Palivizumab Outcomes Registry Group. Palivizumab use in subjects with congenital heart disease results from the 2000–2004 Palivizumab Outcomes Registry. Pediatr Cardiol 2008; 29: 382–387.
27. I Mitchell , BA Paes , A Li , K Lanctot . and the CARESS investigators. CARESS: The Canadian registry of palivizumab. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2011; 30: 651–655.
28. A Khongphatthanayothin , PC Wong , Y Samara , et al. Impact of respiratory syncytial virus infection on surgery for congenital heart disease: postoperative course and outcome. Crit Care Med 1999; 27: 1974–1981.
29. RC Welliver , PA Checchia , JH Bauman , AW Fernandes , PJ Mahadevia , CB Hall . Fatality rates in published reports of RSV hospitalizations among high-risk and otherwise healthy children. Curr Med Res Opin 2010; 26: 2175–2181.
30. JM Hussman , KL Lanctot , B Paes . The cost effectiveness of palivizumab in congenital heart disease: a review of the current evidence. J Med Econ 2013; 16: 115–124.
31.American Academy of Pediatrics Subcommittee on Diagnosis and Management of Bronchiolitis. Diagnosis and management of bronchiolitis. Pediatrics 2006; 118: 1774–1793.
32. L Duttweiler , D Nadal , B Frey . Pulmonary and systemic bacterial co-infections in severe bronchiolitis. Arch Dis Child 2004; 89: 1155–1157.
33. MCJ Kneyber , H Blusse van Oud-Albas , M van Vliet , CSPM Uiterwaal , JLL Kimpen , AJ van Vught . Concurrent bacterial infection and prolonged mechanical ventilation in infants with respiratory syncytial virus lower respiratory tract infection. Intensive Care Med 2005; 31: 680–685.
34. AG Randolph , L Reder , JA Englund . Risk of bacterial infection in previously healthy respiratory syncytial virus-infected young children admitted to the intensive care unit. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2004; 23: 990–994.
35. K Thorburn , S Harigopal , V Reddy , N Taylor , HK van Saene . High incidence of pulmonary bacterial co-infection in children ventilated for severe respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) bronchiolitis. Thorax 2006; 61: 611–615.
37. WI Krief , DA Levine , SL Platt , et al. Multicenter RSV-SBI Study Group of the Pediatric Emergency Medicine Collaborative Research Committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Influenza virus infection and the risk of serious bacterial infections in young febrile infants. Pediatrics 2009; 124: 30–39.
38. B Paes , I Mitchell , A Li , K Lanctot . and the CARESS investigators. A comparative study of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) prophylaxis in premature infants within the Canadian Registry of Palivizumab (CARESS). Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2012; 31: 2703–2711.
39. B Paes , I Mitchell , A Li , KL Lanctôt . Respiratory hospitalizations and respiratory syncytial virus prophylaxis in special populations. Eur J Pediatr 2012; 171: 833–841.