This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CL Bowden . A different depression: clinical distinctions between bipolar and unipolar depression. J Affect Disord. 2005; 84(2–3): 117–125.
2. MA Frye . Clinical practice: bipolar disorder—a focus on depression. N Engl J Med. 2011; 364(1): 51–59.
3. PB Mitchell , A Frankland , D Hadzi-Pavlovic , etal. Comparison of depressive episodes in bipolar disorder and in major depressive disorder within bipolar disorder pedigrees. Br J Psychiatry. 2011; 199(4): 303–309.
4. LL Judd , HS Akiskal , PJ Schttler . The long-term natural history of the weekly symptomatic status of bipolar I disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002; 59(6): 530–537.
5. LL Judd , HS Akiskal , PJ Schttler . A prospective investigation of the natural history of the long-term weekly symptomatic status of bipolar II disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60(3): 261–269.
6. MS Bauer , GF Kirk , C Gavin . Determinants of functional outcome and healthcare costs in bipolar disorder: a high-intensity follow-up study. J Affect Disord. 2001; 65(3): 231–241.
7. LL Judd , HS Akiskal , PJ Schettler , etal. Psychosocial disability in the course of bipolar I and II disorders: a prospective, comparative, longitudinal study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62(12): 1322–1331.
8. AA Nierenberg , MJ Ostacher , JR Calabrese , etal. Treatment-resistant bipolar depression: a STEP-BD equipoise randomized effectiveness trial of antidepressant augmentation with lamotrigine, inositol or risperidone. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(2): 210–216.
9. GS Leverich , LL Altshuler , MA Frye , etal. Risk of switch in mood polarity to hypomania or mania in patients with bipolar depression during acute and continuation trials of venlafaxine, sertraline, and bupropion as adjuncts to mood stabilizers. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(2): 232–239.
10. G Parker , K Roy , K Wilhelm , etal. The nature of bipolar depression: implications for the definition of melancholia. J Affect Disord. 2002; 59(3): 217–224.
11. PB Mitchell , K Wilhelm , G Parker , etal. The clinical features of bipolar depression: a comparison with matched major depressive disorder patients. J Clin Psychiatry. 2001; 62(3): 212–216.
12. M Hamilton . A rating scale for depression. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960; 23(1): 56–62.
13. M Hamilton . Development of a rating scale for primary depressive illness. Br J Soc Clin Psychol. 1967; 6(4): 278–296.
14. G Parker , D Hadzi-Pavlovic , P Boyce , etal. Classifying depression by mental state signs. Br J Psychiatry. 1990; 157(1): 55–64.
15. G Parker , D Hadzi-Pavlovic , K Wilhelm , etal. Defining melancholia: properties of a refined sign-based measure. Br J Psychiatry. 1994; 164(3): 316–326.
16. F Benazzi . Factor analysis of the Montgomery Asberg Depression Rating Scale in 251 bipolar II and 306 unipolar depressed outpatients. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 25(7): 1369–1376.
17. SA Montgomery , M Asberg . A new depression scale designed to be sensitive to change. Br J Psychiatry. 1979; 134(4): 382–389.
18. EG Hantouche , HS Akiskal . Bipolar II vs. unipolar depression: psychopathologic differentiation by dimensional measures. J Affect Disord. 2005; 84(2–3): 127–132.
19. PM Thompson , JM Gonzalez , V Singh , etal. Principal domains of behavioral psychopathology identified by the Bipolar Inventory of Signs and Symptoms Scale (BISS). Psychiatry Res. 2010; 175(3): 221–226.
20. CL Bowden , JR Calabrese , G Sachs . A placebo-controlled 18-month trial of lamotrigine and lithium maintenance treatment in recently manic or hypomanic patients with bipolar I disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60(4): 392–400.
21. JR Calabrese , CL Bowden , G Sachs . A placebo-controlled 18-month trial of lamotrigine and lithium maintenance treatment in recently depressed patients with bipolar I disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003; 64(9): 1013–1024.
22. JR Calabrese , CL Bowden , GS Sachs . A double-blind placebo-controlled study of lamotrigine monotherapy in outpatients with bipolar I depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 1999; 60(2): 79–88.
23. JR Geddes , JR Calabrese , GM Goodwin . Lamotrigine for treatment of bipolar depression: independent meta-analysis and meta-regression of individual patient data from five randomised trials. Br J Psychiatry. 2009; 194(1): 4–9.
26. P Bech , P Allerup , LF Gram . The Hamilton Depression Scale: evaluation of objectivity using logistic models. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1981; 63(3): 290–299.
27. RD Gibbons , DC Clark , DJ Kupfer . Exactly what does the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale measure? J Psychiatr Res. 1993; 27(3): 259–273.
28. DC Butler , EF Gock , JA Hartley . Analysis of factor variance: two cases. Psychol Rep. 1972; 31(1): 267–279.
34. J Angst , JM Azorin , CL Bowden , etal. BRIDGE Study Group. Prevalence and characteristics of undiagnosed bipolar disorders in patients with a major depressive episode: the BRIDGE study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011; 68(8): 791–798.
35. CA Swann , CL Bowden , RJ Calabrese . Pattern of response to divalproex, lithium, or placebo in four naturalistic subtypes of mania. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002; 26(4): 529–536.
36. MA Frye , TA Ketter , TA Kimbrell . A placebo-controlled study of lamotrigine and gabapentin monotherapy in refractory mood disorders. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2000; 20(6): 607–614.
37. GV Obrocea , RM Dunn , MA Frye . Clinical predictors of response to lamotrigine and gabapentin monotherapy in refractory affective disorders. Biol Psychiatry. 2002; 51(3): 253–260.
38. YT Xiang , L Zhang , G Wang , etal. Sociodemographic and clinical features of bipolar disorder patients misdiagnosed with major depressive disorder in China. Bipolar Disord. 2013; 15(2): 199–205.