This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. A Gupta , Laboratory-confirmed shigellosis in the United States, 1989–2002: epidemiologic trends and patterns. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004; 38: 1372–1377.
4. PS Mead , Food-related illness and death in the United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases 1999; 5: 607–625.
7. BR Warren , ME Parish , KR Schneider . Shigella as a foodborne pathogen and current methods for detection in food. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 2006; 46: 551–567.
8. CW Hedberg , KL MacDonald , MT Osterholm . Changing epidemiology of food-borne disease: a Minnesota perspective. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1994; 18: 671–680.
10. XY Wang , Trend and disease burden of bacillary dysentery in China (1991–2000). Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2006; 84: 561–568.
11. S Ethelberg , The significance of the number of submitted samples and patient-related factors for faecal bacterial diagnostics. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2007; 13: 1095–1099.
13. B Shiferaw , Trends in population-based active surveillance for shigellosis and demographic variability in FoodNet sites, 1996–1999. Clinicial Infectious Diseases 2004; 38 (Suppl. 3): 175–180.
17. M Younus , The role of neighborhood level socioeconomic characteristics in Salmonella infections in Michigan (1997–2007): assessment using geographic information system. International Journal of Health Geographics 2007; 6: 56.
20. S Ethelberg , Household outbreaks among culture-confirmed cases of bacterial gastrointestinal disease. American Journal of Epidemiology 2004; 159: 406–412.
23. SJ Olsen , The changing epidemiology of salmonella: trends in serotypes isolated from humans in the United States, 1987–1997. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2001; 183: 753–761.
25. JS Koopman , IM Longini Jr.. The ecological effects of individual exposures and nonlinear disease dynamics in populations. American Journal of Public Health 1994; 84: 836–842.
27. M Susser . The logic in ecological: II. The logic of design. American Journal of Public Health 1994: 84: 830–835.
28. H Morgenstern . Ecologic studies in epidemiology: concepts, principles, and methods. Annual Review of Public Health 1995; 16: 61–81.
41. DE Hayes-Bautista , L Baezconde-Garbanati , M Hayes-Bautista . Latino health in Los Angeles: family medicine in a changing minority context. Family Practice 1994; 11: 318–324.
43. JC Mohle-Boetani , Communitywide shigellosis:control of an outbreak and risk factors in child day-care centers. American Journal of Public Health 1995; 85: 812–816.
44. AL Shane , Sharing Shigella: risk factors of a multi-community outbreak of shigellosis. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine 2003; 157: 601–603.
45. B Olowokure , Deprivation and hospital admission for infectious intestinal diseases. Lancet 1999; 353: 807–808.
46. LA Lee , Hyperendemic shigellosis in the United States: a review of surveillance data for 1967–1988. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1991; 164: 894–900.
47. AY Ellencweig , PE Slater . Demographic and socio-economic patterns of hospitalization for infectious diseases in Israel. European Journal of Epidemiology 1986; 2: 83–89.
48. E Cifuentes , The risk of enteric diseases in young children and environmental indicators in sentinel areas of Mexico City. International Journal of Environmental Health Research 2002; 12: 53–62.
52. E Scallan , Factors associated with seeking medical care and submitting a stool sample in estimating the burden of foodborne illness. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease 2006; 3: 432–438.
54. TF Jones , Salmonellosis outcomes differ substantially by serotype. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2008; 198: 109–114.
56. MK Thomas , Estimated numbers of community cases of illness due to Salmonella, Campylobacter and Verotoxigenic Escherichia coli: pathogen-specific community rates. Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology 2006; 17: 229–234.
57. KA Guthrie , L Sheppard . Overcoming biases and misconceptions in ecological studies. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 2001; 164: 141–154.
58. S Greenland , H Morgenstern . Ecological bias, confounding, and effect modification. International Journal of Epidemiology 1989; 18: 269–274.