3. PI Tarr . MA Neill . CR Clausen . SL Watkins . DL Christine . RO Hiekman . Escherichia coli O 157. H7 and the hemolvtic uremic svndrome: importance of early cultures in establishing the etiology. J Inf Dis 1990: 162: 553–6.
5. H Kleanthous . HR Smith , SM Scotland . Haemolvtie uraemic syndromes in the British Isles. 1985–8: assoeiation with verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli. Part 2. Microbiological aspects. Arch Dis Child 1990: 65: 722–7.
6. PC Rowe , E Orrbine , GA Wells , PN McLaine . The epidemiology of hemolytic uremic syndrome in Canadian children, 1986–1988. J Pediatr 1991; 119: 218–24.
7. LW Riley , RS Remis , SD Helgerson , Hemorrhagic colitis associated with a rare Escherichia coli serotype. N Eng J Med 1983; 308: 681–5.
8. KL MacDonald , MJ O'leary , ML Cohen , Escherichia coli O 157.H7, an emerging gastrointestinal pathogen. JAMA 1988; 259: 3567–70.
9. HE Bryant , MA Athar , CH Pai . Risk factors for Escherichia coli O 157.H7 infection in an urban community. J Inf Dis 1989; 160: 858–64.
11. AO Carter , AA Borczyk , JAK Carlson . A severe outbreak of E. coli 0 157. H7-associated hemorrhagic colitis in a nursing home. N Eng J Med 1987; 317: 1496–1500.
12. CA Ryan , RV Tauxe , GW Hosek , Escherichia coli O 157.H7 diarrhea in a nursing home: clinical, epidemiological, and pathological findings. J Inf Dis 1986; 154: 631–8.
13. EA Belongia , KL MacDonald , GL Parham , An outbreak of Escherichia coli O 157.H7 colitis associated with consumption of precooked meat patties. J Inf Dis 1991; 164: 33843.
14. AT Pavia , CR Nichols , DP Green . Hemolytic-uremic syndrome during an outbreak of Escherichia coli 0 157. H7 infections in institutions for mentally retarded persons: clinical and epidemiologic observations. J Pediatr 1990; 116: 544–51.
18. JS Spika , JE Parsons , D Nordenberg , JG Wells . RA Gunn . PA Blake . Hemolytic uremic syndrome and diarrhea associated with Escherichia coli O 157. H7 in a day care center. J Pediatr 1986: 109: 287–91.
20. SD Walter . The distribution of Levin's measure of attributable risk. Biometrika 1975; 62: 371–4.
21. LW Riley . The epidemiologic, clinical, and microbiologic features of hemorrhagic colitis. Ann Rev Microbiol 1987: 41: 383–407.
23. MA Karmali . GS Arbus . N Ish-Shalom , A family outbreak of hemolytic uremic syndrome associated with verotoxin-producing Escherichia coli serotype O 157. H7. Pediatr Nephrol 1988: 2: 409–14.
25. MJ Blaser . RJ Waldman . T Barrett , AL Erlandson . Outbreaks of Campylobacter enteritis in two extended families: evidence for person-to-person transmission. J Pediatr 1981: 254–7.
26. WH Mosley . B Adams . ED Lyman . Epidemiologic and sociologic features of a large urban outbreak of shigellosis. JAMA 1962; 182: 1307–11.
28. EL Lopez . M Diaz . S Grinstein . Hemolytic uremic syndrome and diarrhea in Argentine children: the role of Shiga-like toxins. J Inf Dis 1989: 160: 469–75.
29. EL Lopez . M Diaz . S Devoto . Evidence of infection with organisms producing Shiga-like toxins in household contacts of children with the hemolytic uremic syndrome. J Pediatr Inf Dis 1991: 10: 20–4.