This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2.M Visser , DJ Deeg , P Lips . Low vitamin D and high parathyroid hormone levels as determinants of loss of muscle strength and muscle mass (sarcopenia): the Longitudinal Aging Study Amsterdam. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2003; 88: 5766–5772.
3.ER Bertone-Johnson , Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and risk of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 2005; 14: 1991–1997.
5.DM Freedman , M Dosemeci , K McGlynn . Sunlight and mortality from breast, ovarian, colon, prostate, and non-melanoma skin cancer: a composite death certificate based case-control study. Occupational & Environmental Medicine 2002; 59: 257–262.
6. H. Schmidt-Gayk , Serum 25-hydroxycalciferol in myocardial infarction. Atherosclerosis 1977; 26: 55–58.
7. M Cutolo , Vitamin D in rheumatoid arthritis. Autoimmunity Reviews 2007; 7: 59–64.
8.M Cutolo , K Otsa . Vitamin D, immunity and lupus [Review]. Lupus 2008; 17: 6–10.
9. TT Wang , Cutting edge: 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 is a direct inducer of antimicrobial peptide gene expression. Journal of Immunology 2004; 173: 2909–2912.
10.ME Klotman , TL Chang . Defensins in innate antiviral immunity. Nature Reviews Immunology 2006; 6: 447–456.
11. E Leikina , Carbohydrate-binding molecules inhibit viral fusion and entry by crosslinking membrane glycoproteins. Nature Immunology 2005; 6: 995–1001.
12.PT Liu , Toll-like receptor triggering of a vitamin D-mediated human antimicrobial response. Science 2006; 311: 1770–1773.
13.SS Harris , B Dawson-Hughes . Seasonal changes in plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations of young American black and white women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1998; 67: 1232–1236.
14.RE Hope-Simpson , DB Golubev . A new concept of the epidemic process of influenza A virus. Epidemiology and Infection 1987; 99: 5–54.
15. RE Hope-Simpson . The Transmission of Epidemic Influenza. New York: Plenum Press, 1992.
16.AM Fendrick , The economic burden of non-influenza-related viral respiratory tract infection in the United States. Archives of Internal Medicine 2003; 163: 487–494.
18.JM Lemire . Immunomodulatory role of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. Journal of Cell Biochemistry 1992; 49: 26–31.
20.JF Aloia , A randomized controlled trial of vitamin D3 supplementation in African American women. Archives of Internal Medicine 2005; 165: 1618–1623.
23.R Vieth , The urgent need to recommend an intake of vitamin D that is effective. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2007; 85: 649–650.
24.J Chubak , Moderate-intensity exercise reduces the incidence of colds among postmenopausal women. American Journal of Medicine 2006; 119: 937–942.
25.DC Nieman , Physical activity and immune function in elderly women. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 1993; 25: 823–831.
28. A Avenell , Vitamin D supplementation to prevent infections: a sub-study of a randomised placebo-controlled trial in older people [RECORD trial, ISRCTN 51647438]. Age and Ageing 2007; 36: 574–577.
31.MJ Barger-Lux , Vitamin D and its major metabolites: serum levels after graded oral dosing in healthy men. Osteoporosis International 1998; 8: 222–230.
32.AC Looker , Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status of adolescents and adults in two seasonal subpopulations from NHANES III. Bone 2002; 30: 771–777.