This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. F Shann . Etiology of severe pneumonia in children in developing countries. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1986; 5: 247–52.
2. R Austrian . Some observations on the pneumococcus and on the current status of pneumococcal disease and its prevention. Rev Infect Dis 1981; 3 (Suppl): S1–17.
3. J Montgomery , D Lehmann , T Smith , Bacterial colonization of the upper respiratory tract and its association with acute lower respiratory tract infections in highland children of Papua New Guinea. Rev Infect Dis 1990; 12 (Suppl 8): S1006–16.
4. J Barker , M Gratten , I Riley , Pneumonia in children in the Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea: a bacteriologic study of patients selected by standard clinical criteria. J Infect Dis 1989; 159: 348–52.
5. BM Gray , GM Converse III, HC Dillon Jr. Epidemiologic studies of Streptococcus pneumoniae in infants: acquisition, carriage, and infection during the first 24 months of life. J Infect Dis 1980; 142: 923–33.
7. H Muench . Catalytic models in epidemiology. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1959.
8. RM Douglas , JC Paton , SJ Duncan , DJ Hansman . Antibody response to pneumococcal vaccination in children younger than five years of age. J Infect Dis 1983; 148: 131–7.
9. ID Riley , D Lehmann , MP Alpers . Pneumococcal vaccine trials in Papua New Guinea: relationships between the epidemiology of pneumococcal infection and vaccine efficacy. Rev Infect Dis 1991; 13 (Suppl 6): S535–41.
11. CS Witt , W Pomat , D Lehmann , MP Alpers . Antibodies to pneumococcal polysaccharides in pneumonia and response to pneumococcal vaccination in young children in Papua New Guinea. Clin Exp Immunol 1991; 83: 219–24.
13. CM MacLeod , MR Krauss . Relation of virulence of pneumococcal strains for mice to the quantity of capsular polysaccharide formed in vitro. J Exp Med 1950; 92: 1–9.
14. WW Busse . Pathogenesis and sequelae of respiratory infections. Rev Infect Dis 1991; 13 (Suppl 6): S477–85.
15. PF Wright , SH Sell , WK Vaughn , C Andrews , KB McConnell , G Schiffman . Clinical studies of pneumococcal vaccines in infants. II. Efficacy and effect on nasopharyngeal carriage. Rev Infect Dis 1981; 3 (Suppl): S108–12.
16. JM Gwaltney Jr, MA Sande , R Austrian , JO Hendley . Spread of Streptococcus pneumoniae in families. II. Relation of transfer of S. pneumoniae to incidence of colds and serum antibody. J Infect Dis 1975; 132: 62–8.
17. E Sanders . Bacterial interference. I. Its occurrence among the respiratory tract flora and characterization of inhibition of Group A streptococci by viridans streptococci. J Infect Dis 1969; 120: 698–707.
19. GC Onyemelukwe , BM Greenwood . Pneumococcal serotypes, epidemiological factors and vaccine strategy in Nigerian patients. J Infect 1982; 5: 157–63.
21. D Lehmann , KJ Coakley , CA Coakley , Reduction in the incidence of acute bronchitis by an oral Haemophilus influenzae vaccine in patients with chronic bronchitis in the highlands of Papua New Guinea. Am Rev Respir Dis 1991; 144: 324–30.