This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CG Whitney , Decline in invasive pneumococcal disease after the introduction of protein-polysaccharide conjugate vaccine. New England Journal of Medicine 2003; 348: 1737–1746.
2. A Schuchat , for the Active Surveillance Team. Bacterial meningitis in the United States in 1995. New England Journal of Medicine 1997; 337: 970–976.
3. AJ Pollard , ER Moxon . The meningococcus tamed? Archives of Disease in Childhood 2002; 87: 13–17.
4. NE Rosenstein , The changing epidemiology of meningococcal disease in the United States, 1992–1996. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1999; 180: 1894–1901.
6. S Nadel , JS Kroll . Diagnosis and management of meningococcal disease: the need for centralized care. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 2007; 31: 71–83.
7. NE Rosenstein , Meningococcal disease. New England Journal of Medicine 2001; 344: 1378–1388.
11. MN Tsolia , The evolving epidemiology of invasive meningococcal disease: a two-year prospective, population-based study in children in the area of Athens. FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology 2003; 36: 87–94.
12. C Block , Forty years of meningococcal disease in Israel 1951–1990. Clinical Infectious Disease 1993; 17: 126–132.
13. CJ Williams , Geographic correlation between deprivation and risk of meningococcal disease: an ecological study. BMC Public Health 2004; 4: 30.
16. I Pereiró , Risk factors for invasive disease among children in Spain. Journal of Infection 2004; 48: 320–329.
17. S Deutch , Crowding as a risk factor of meningococcal disease in Danish preschool children: a nationwide population-based case-control study. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 2004; 36: 20–23.
23. CJ Hoebe , Space-time cluster analysis of invasive meningococcal disease. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 1621–1626.
24. JH Abramson . WINPEPI (PEPI-for-Windows): computer programs for epidemiologists. Epidemiologic Perspectives & Innovations 2004; 1: 6.
28. MJ Goldacre , SE Roberts , D Yeates . Case fatality rates for meningococcal disease in an English population, 1963–98: database study. British Medical Journal 2003; 327: 596–597.
32. B Purcell , Effectiveness of antibiotics in preventing meningococcal disease after a case: systematic review. British Medical Journal 2004; 328: 1339.
35. SP Yazdankhah , BA Lindstedt , DA Caugant . Use of variable-number tandem repeats to examine genetic diversity of Neisseria meningitidis. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2005; 43: 1699–1705.
37. J Holst , The concept of ‘tailor-made’, protein-based, outer membrane vesicle vaccines against meningococcal disease. Vaccine 2005; 23: 2202–2205.
38. J O'Hallahan , From secondary prevention to primary prevention: a unique strategy that gives hope to a country ravaged by meningococcal disease. Vaccine 2005; 23: 2197–2201.
41. MP Girard , A review of vaccine research and development: meningococcal disease. Vaccine 2006; 24: 4692–4700.