This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. D Pittet , RP Wenzel . Nosocomial bloodstream infections. Secular trends in rates, mortality, and contribution to total hospital deaths. Archives of Internal Medicine 1995; 155: 1177–1184.
5. C von Eiff , Nasal carriage as a source of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Study Group. New England Journal of Medicine 2001; 344: 11–16.
6. HF Wertheim , Risk and outcome of nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia in nasal carriers versus non-carriers. Lancet 2004; 364: 703–705.
9. PL Lu , Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage, infection and transmission in dialysis patients, healthcare workers and their family members. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2008; 23: 1659–1665.
10. FP Mollema , Transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus to household contacts. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2010; 48: 202–207.
11. JH Wagenvoort , Risk of re-introduction of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus into the hospital by intrafamilial spread from and to healthcare workers. Journal of Hospital Infection 2005; 59: 67–68.
12. R Schwarzkopf , Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus colonization in orthopaedic surgeons and their patients: a prospective cohort controlled study. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery 2010; 92: 1815–1819.
14. BP Suffoletto , Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization in emergency department personnel. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2008; 52: 529–533.
15. SJ Peacock , Determinants of acquisition and carriage of Staphylococcus aureus in infancy. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 5718–5725.
17. M Sangvik , Age- and gender-associated Staphylococcus aureus spa types found among nasal carriers in a general population: the Tromso Staph and Skin Study. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2011; 49: 4213–4218.
20. A van Belkum , Reclassification of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage types. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2009; 199: 1820–1826.
22. B Strommenger , spa typing of Staphylococcus aureus as a frontline tool in epidemiological typing. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2008; 46: 574–581.
23. D Harmsen , Typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a university hospital setting by using novel software for spa repeat determination and database management. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 5442–5448.
24. O Sakwinska , Ecological temporal stability of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2010; 48: 2724–2728.
27. DP Calfee . The epidemiology, treatment, and prevention of transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Infusion Nursing 2011; 34: 359–364.
28. R Skov , Update on the prevention and control of community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA). International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. Published online: 9 January 2012; doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2011.09.029.
29. J Lamaro-Cardoso , Molecular epidemiology and risk factors for nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-resistant S. aureus in infants attending day care centers in Brazil. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2009; 47: 3991–3997.
31. L Fenner , Molecular epidemiology of invasive methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus strains circulating at a Swiss University Hospital. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 2008; 27: 623–626.
32. H Grundmann , Geographic distribution of Staphylococcus aureus causing invasive infections in Europe: a molecular-epidemiological analysis. PLoS Medicine 2010; 7: e1000215.
33. RJ Gorwitz , Changes in the prevalence of nasal colonization with Staphylococcus aureus in the United States, 2001–2004. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2008; 197: 1226–1234.
35. S Pfingsten-Wurzburg , Prevalence and molecular epidemiology of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in nursing home residents in northern Germany. Journal of Hospital Infection 2011; 78: 108–112.