This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. KDC Stärk , Concepts for risk-based surveillance in the field of veterinary medicine and veterinary public health: Review of current approaches. BMC Health Services Research 2006; 6: 1–8.
5. DM Bravata , Systematic review: surveillance systems for early detection of bioterrorism-related diseases. Annals of Internal Medicine 2004; 140: 910–922.
7. JB Meynard , Proposal of a framework for evaluating military surveillance systems for early detection of outbreaks on duty areas. BMC Public Health 2008; 8: 146.
8. TJD Knight-Jones , Evaluation of effectiveness and efficiency of wild bird surveillance for avian influenza. Veterinary Research 2010; 41: 50.
12. CPD Birch , Spatial distribution of the active surveillance of sheep scrapie in Great Britain: an exploratory analysis. BMC Veterinary Research 2009; 5: 23.
13. TE Carpenter . Evaluation and extension of the cusum technique with an application to Salmonella surveillance. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 2002; 14: 211–218.
21. P Aavitsland , O Nilsen , A Lystad . Anonymous reporting of HIV infection: an evaluation of the HIV/AIDS surveillance system in Norway 1983–2000. European Journal of Epidemiology 2001; 17: 479–489.
23. HJ Andersen , Evaluation of the surveillance program of Streptococcus agalactiae in Danish dairy herds. Journal of Dairy Science 2003; 86: 1233–1239.
27. JA Ansari , Evaluation of the existing bacterial meningitis surveillance system in Islamabad, Pakistan. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2008; 12: E192.
28. S Arscott-Mills , Y Holder , G Gordon . Comparative evaluation of different modes of a national accident and emergency department-based injury surveillance system: Jamaican experience. International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion 2002; 9: 235–239.
31. JA Betancourt , Evaluation of ICD-9 codes for syndromic surveillance in the electronic surveillance system for the early notification of community-based epidemics. Military Medicine 2007; 172: 346–352.
32. AF Betanzos-Reyes , Comparative analysis of two alternative models for epidemiological surveillance in the Mexican Malaria Control Program. Health Policy 2007; 80: 465–482.
34. HJ Bowen , Community exposures to chemical incidents: development and evaluation of the first environmental public health surveillance system in Europe. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2000; 54: 870–873.
35. S Brooker , The use of schools for malaria surveillance and programme evaluation in Africa. Malaria Journal 2009; 8: 231.
38. TE Carpenter , M Chriel , M Greiner . An analysis of an early-warning system to reduce abortions in dairy cattle in Denmark incorporating both financial and epidemiologic aspects. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2007; 78: 1–11.
39. MP Carrieri , Evaluation of the SIMI system, an experimental computerised network for the surveillance of communicable diseases in Italy. European Journal of Epidemiology 2000; 16: 941–947.
41. M Chriel , MD Salman , BA Wagner . Evaluation of surveillance and sample collection methods to document freedom from infectious bovine rhinotracheitis in cattle populations. American Journal of Veterinary Research 2005; 66: 2149–2153.
43. M Cretikos , B Telfer , J McAnulty . Evaluation of the system of surveillance for enteric disease outbreaks, New South Wales, Australia, 2000 to 2005. NSW Public Health Bulletin 2008; 19: 8–14.
44. ST David , A bird's eye view: using geographic analysis to evaluate the representativeness of corvid indicators for West Nile virus surveillance. International Journal of Health Geographics 2007; 6: 3.
53. DC Hadorn , KDC Stark . Evaluation and optimization of surveillance systems for rare and emerging infectious diseases. Veterinary Research 2008; 39: 57.
56. R Harpaz , Lessons learned from establishing and evaluating indicators of the quality of measles surveillance in the United States, 1996–1998. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2004; 189: S196–S203.
60. MA Huaman , Impact of two interventions on timeliness and data quality of an electronic disease surveillance system in a resource limited setting (Peru): a prospective evaluation. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2009; 9: 16.
72. L Lesher , Evaluation of surveillance methods for staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2009; 15: 770–773.
74. C Macarthur , IB Pless . Evaluation of the quality of an injury surveillance system. American Journal of Epidemiology 1999; 149: 586–592.
75. JC Mariner , Rinderpest surveillance performance monitoring using quantifiable indicators. Revue Scientifique et Technique de l'Office International des Epizooties 2003; 22: 837–847.
81. S Morris , The costs and effectiveness of surveillance of communicable disease: a case study of HIV and AIDS in England and Wales. Journal of Public Health Medicine 1996; 18: 415–422.
83. A Odoi , Application of an automated surveillance-data-analysis system in a laboratory-based early-warning system for detection of an abortion outbreak in mares. American Journal of Veterinary Research 2009; 70: 247–256.
88. JL Richard , B Vidondo , M Mausezahl . A 5-year comparison of performance of sentinel and mandatory notification surveillance systems for measles in Switzerland. European Journal of Epidemiology 2008; 23: 55–65.
93. RM Safdar , SA Khan , RJ Asghar . Evaluation of hepatitis surveillance systems in Pakistan. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2008; 12: E192.
94. M Sandberg , An evaluation of the Norwegian Salmonella surveillance and control program in live pig and pork. International Journal of Food Microbiology 2002; 72: 1–11.
95. JP Sekhobo , CM Druschel . An evaluation of congenital malformations surveillance in New York State: An application of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for evaluating surveillance systems. Public Health Reports 2001; 116: 296–305.
97. HF Tan , Evaluation of the national notifiable disease surveillance system in Taiwan: An example of varicella reporting. Vaccine 2007; 25: 2630–2633.
99. N Walker , Epidemiological analysis of the quality of HIV sero-surveillance in the world: how well do we track the epidemic? AIDS 2001; 15: 1545–1554.
100. RE Watkins , An evaluation of the sensitivity of acute flaccid paralysis surveillance for poliovirus infection in Australia. BMC Infectious Diseases 2009; 9: 162.
107. KC Malecki , B Resnick , TA Burke . Effective environmental public health surveillance programs: a framework for identifying and evaluating data resources and indicators. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice 2008; 14: 543–551.
108. RJ Mitchell , AM Williamson , R O'Connor . The development of an evaluation framework for injury surveillance systems. BMC Public Health 2009; 9: 260.
114. GM Jolly . Explicit estimates from capture-recapture data with both death and immigration-stochastic model. Biometrika 1965; 52: 225–247.
115. VJ Del Rio Vilas , A case study of capture-recapture methodology using scrapie surveillance data in Great Britain. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2005; 67: 303–317.