This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. LM O'Reilly , CJ Daborn . The epidemiology of Mycobacterium bovis infections in animals and man: a review. Tubercle and Lung Disease 1995; 76 (Suppl. 1): 1–46.
RJ Delahay ,
The spatio-temporal distribution of Mycobacterium bovis (bovine tuberculosis) infection in a high-density badger population. Journal of Animal Ecology
2001; 69: 428–441.
R Woodroffe ,
Spatial association of Mycobacterium bovis infection in cattle and badgers Meles meles
. Journal of Applied Ecology
2005; 42: 852–862.
8. RS Morris , DU Pfeiffer . Directions and issues in bovine tuberculosis epidemiology and control in New Zealand. New Zealand Veterinary Journal 1995; 43: 256–265.
GW De Lisle , CG Mackintosh , RG Bengis .
Mycobacterium bovis in free-living and captive wildlife, including farmed deer. Revue Scientifique et Technique de l'Office International des Épizooties
2001; 20: 86–111.
15. SM Schmitt , Bovine tuberculosis in free-ranging white-tailed deer from Michigan. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 1997; 33: 749–758.
16. V Naranjo , Evidence of the role of European wild boar as a reservoir of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex. Veterinary Microbiology 2008; 127: 1–9.
A Parra ,
An epidemiological evaluation of Mycobacterium bovis infections in wild game animals of the Spanish Mediterranean ecosystem. Research in Veterinary Science
2006; 80: 140–146.
DV Cousins , N Florisson . A review of tests available for use in the diagnosis of tuberculosis in non-bovine species. Revue Scientifique et Technique de l'Office des International des Épizooties
2005; 24: 1039–59.
KS Khan ,
Five steps to conducting a systematic review. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine
2003; 96: 118–121.
JC Rhyan ,
Bovine tuberculosis in a free-ranging mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus) from Montana. Journal of Wildlife Disease
1995; 31: 432–435.
27. DJ O'Brien , Tuberculous lesions in free-ranging white-tailed deer in Michigan. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2001; 37: 608–613.
28. DJ O'Brien , Epidemiology of Mycobacterium bovis in free-ranging white-tailed deer, Michigan, USA, 1995–2000. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2002; 54: 47–63.
29. MV Palmer , Tonsillar lesions in white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) naturally infected with Mycobacterium bovis. Veterinary Record 2002; 151: 149.
14. DJ O'Brien , Managing the wildlife reservoir of Mycobacterium bovis: the Michigan, USA, experience. Veterinary Microbiology 2006; 112: 313–323.
M Carstensen , MW DonCarlos . Preventing the establishment of a wildlife disease reservoir: a case study of bovine tuberculosis in wild deer in Minnesota, USA. Veterinary Medicine International
2011; 2011: 10.
36. JS Nishi , T Shury , BT Elkin . Wildlife reservoirs for bovine tuberculosis Mycobacterium bovis) in Canada: strategies for management and research. Veterinary Microbiology 2006; 112: 325–338.
C Medrano ,
Zoonotic pathogens among white-tailed deer, Northern Mexico, 2004–2009. Emerging Infectious Diseases
2012; 18: 1372.
38. H Barrios-García , Identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex by histopathology and PCR in white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) in Tamaulipas, Mexico. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 2012; 11: 1036–1040.
ME Jolley ,
Fluorescence polarization assay for the detection of antibodies to Mycobacterium bovis in bovine sera. Veterinary Microbiology
2007; 120: 113–121.
CS Bruning-Fann ,
Bovine tuberculosis in free-ranging carnivores from Michigan. Journal of Wildlife Diseases
2001; 37: 58–64.
KC VerCauteren ,
Surveillance of coyotes to detect bovine tuberculosis, Michigan. Emerging Infectious Diseases
2008; 14: 1862–1869.
G Witmer ,
Epizootiologic survey of Mycobacterium bovis in wildlife and farm environments in northern Michigan. Journal of Wildlife Diseases
2010; 46: 368–378.
MV Palmer , WR Waters , DL Whipple . Susceptibility of raccoons (Procyon lotor) to infection with Mycobacterium bovis. Journal of Wildlife Diseases
2002; 38: 266–274.
SD Fitzgerald ,
Experimental aerosol inoculation of Mycobacterium bovis in North American opossums (Didelphis virginiana). Journal of Wildlife Diseases
2003; 39: 418–423.
Experimental inoculation of North American opossums (Didelphis virginiana) with Mycobacterium bovis
. Journal of Wildlife Diseases
2002; 38: 275–281.
KL Butler ,
Experimental inoculation of European starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) and American crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos) with Mycobacterium bovis
. Avian Diseases
2001; 45: 709–718.
KR Clarke ,
Experimental inoculation of wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) with Mycobacterium bovis
. Avian Diseases
2006; 50: 131–134.
SD Pillai ,
Failure to identify non-bovine reservoirs of Mycobacterium bovis in a region with a history of infected dairy-cattle herds. Preventive Veterinary Medicine
2000; 43: 53–62.
58. PC Cross , Effects of management and climate on elk brucellosis in the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem. Ecological Applications 2007; 17: 957–964.
EJ Maichak ,
Effects of management, behavior, and scavenging on risk of brucellosis transmission in elk of western Wyoming. Journal of Wildlife Diseases
2009; 45: 398–410.
60. LL Wolfe , A bighorn sheep die-off in southern Colorado involving a Pasteurellaceae strain that may have originated from syntopic cattle. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2010; 46: 1262–1268.
S Olsen . Brucellosis in the United States: role and significance of wildlife reservoirs. Vaccine
2010; 28: F73–F6.
SD Côté ,
Ecological impacts of deer overabundance. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics
2004, pp. 113–147.
63. TP Rooney . Deer impacts on forest ecosystems: a North American perspective. Forestry 2001; 74: 201–208.
65. MJ Butler , Wildlife ranching in North America– arguments, issues, and perspectives. Wildlife Society Bulletin 2005; 33: 381–389.
66. SM Cooper , Distribution and interspecies contact of feral swine and cattle on rangelands in South Texas: implications for disease transmission. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2010; 46: 152–164.
MV Palmer , WR Waters , DL Whipple . Investigation of the transmission of Mycobacterium bovis from deer to cattle through indirect contact. American Journal of Veterinary Research
2004; 65: 1483–1489.
69. R Miller , Evaluation of the influence of supplemental feeding of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) on the prevalence of bovine tuberculosis in the Michigan wild deer population. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2003; 39: 84–95.
BL Smith . Winter feeding of elk in western North America. Journal of Wildlife Management
2001; 65: 173–190.
77. LAL Corner . The role of wild animal populations in the epidemiology of tuberculosis in domestic animals: how to assess the risk. Veterinary Microbiology 2006; 112: 303–12.
78. JP McInerney , KJ Small , P Caley . Prevalence of Mycobacterium bovis infection in feral pigs in the Northern Territory. Australian Veterinary Journal 2008; 72: 448–451.
79. A Aranaz , Bovine tuberculosis (Mycobacterium bovis) in wildlife in Spain. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2004; 42: 2602–2608.
80. JH de Mendoza , Bovine tuberculosis in wild boar (Sus scrofa), red deer (Cervus elaphus) and cattle (Bos taurus) in a Mediterranean ecosystem (1992–2004). Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2006; 74: 239–247.
N Santos ,
Epidemiology of Mycobacterium bovis infection in wild boar (Sus scrofa) from Portugal. Journal of Wildlife Diseases
2009; 45: 1048–1061.
83. G Wasserberg , Host culling as an adaptive management tool for chronic wasting disease in white tailed deer: a modelling study. Journal of Applied Ecology 2009; 46: 457–466.
84. S Thirgood . New perspectives on managing wildlife diseases. Journal of Applied Ecology 2009; 46: 454–456.
T Mörner ,
Surveillance and monitoring of wildlife diseases. Revue Scientifique et Technique de l'Office International des Épizooties
2002; 21: 67–76.
86. M Hartley , E Gill . Assessment and mitigation processes for disease risks associated with wildlife management and conservation interventions. Veterinary Record 2010; 166: 487–490.
87. M Hartley , R Lysons . Development of the England Wildlife Health Strategy – a framework for decision makers. Veterinary Record 2011; 168: 158–164.
88. R Lysons , J Gibbens , L Smith . Progress with enhancing veterinary surveillance in the United Kingdom. Veterinary Record 2007; 160: 105–12.
A Sainsbury ,
Status of wildlife health monitoring in the United Kingdom. Veterinary Record
2001; 148: 558–563.
91. MA McCarthy , HP Possingham . Active adaptive management for conservation. Conservation Biology 2007; 21: 956–963.
92. DJ O'Brien , Management of bovine tuberculosis in Michigan wildlife: current status and near term prospects. Veterinary Microbiology 2011; 151: 179–87.
97. K VerCauteren , T Gehring , J Landry . The dynamic role of livestock protection dogs in a changing world. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research 2010; 6: 73–74.
K VerCauteren , M Lavelle , S Hygnstrom . Fences and deer-damage management: a review of designs and efficacy. Wildlife Society Bulletin
2006; 34: 191–200.
M Carstensen , DJ O'Brien , SM Schmitt . Public acceptance as a determinant of management strategies for bovine tuberculosis in free-ranging US wildlife. Veterinary Microbiology
2011; 151: 200–204.
100. R Woodroffe , Bovine tuberculosis in cattle and badgers in localized culling areas. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2009; 45: 128–143.
101. ME Meyer , M Meagher . Brucellosis in free-ranging bison (Bison bison) in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Wood Buffalo National Parks: a review. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 1995; 31: 579–598.
K VerCauteren , J Shivik , M Lavelle . Efficacy of an animal-activated frightening device on urban elk and mule deer. Wildlife Society Bulletin
2005; 33: 1282–1287.
105. MK Cosgrove , Modeling vaccination and targeted removal of white-tailed deer in Michigan for bovine tuberculosis control. Wildlife Society Bulletin 2012; 36: 676–684.
106. AR Berentsen , Active use of coyotes (Canis latrans) to detect bovine tuberculosis in northeastern Michigan, USA. Veterinary Microbiology 2011; 151: 126–32.
110. CS Bruning-Fann , Mycobacterium bovis in coyotes from Michigan. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 1998; 34: 632–6.
JB Kaneene ,
Epidemiologic investigation of Mycobacterium bovis in a population of cats. American Journal of Veterinary Research
2002; 63: 1507–1511.
DO Joly , F Messier . Factors affecting apparent prevalence of tuberculosis and brucellosis in wood bison. Journal of Animal Ecology
2004; 73: 623–631.