1. KL O'Brien , Burden of disease caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae in children younger than 5 years: global estimates. Lancet 2009; 374: 893–902.
2. SB Black , Effectiveness of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children younger than five years of age for prevention of pneumonia. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2002; 21: 810–815.
3. J Hansen , Effectiveness of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children younger than 5 years of age for prevention of pneumonia: updated analysis using World Health Organization standardized interpretation of chest radiographs. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2006; 25: 779–781.
4. KP Klugman , A trial of a 9-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children with and those without HIV infection. New England Journal of Medicine 2003; 349: 1341–1348.
5. MG Lucero , Efficacy of an 11-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine against radiologically confirmed pneumonia among children less than 2 years of age in the Philippines: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2009; 28: 455–462.
6. GD Rodenburg , Effects of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine 2 years after its introduction, the Netherlands. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2010; 16: 816–823.
7. DJ Isaacman , ED McIntosh , RR Reinert . Burden of invasive pneumococcal disease and serotype distribution among Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in young children in Europe: impact of the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and considerations for future conjugate vaccines. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2009; 14: e197–209.
8. Q Xu , Novel type of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing multidrug-resistant acute otitis media in children. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2009; 15: 547– 551.
9. TQ Tan . Antibiotic resistant infections due to Streptococcus pneumoniae: impact on therapeutic options and clinical outcome. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases 2003; 16: 271–277.
10. WP Hanage , Evidence that pneumococcal serotype replacement in Massachusetts following conjugate vaccination is now complete. Epidemics 2010; 2: 80–84.
11. D Bogaert , Colonisation by Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus in healthy children. Lancet 2004; 363: 1871–1872.
12. G Regev-Yochay , Association between carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus in Children. Journal of the American Medical Association 2004; 292: 716–720.
13. B Quintero , Epidemiology of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus colonization in healthy Venezuelan children. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology Infectious Diseases 2011; 30: 7–19.
14. LM McNally , Lack of association between the nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus in HIV-1-infected South African children. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2006; 194: 385–390.
15. EJM van Gils , Effect of seven-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on Staphylococcus aureus colonisation in a randomised controlled trial. PLoS ONE 2011; 6: e20229.
16. MB Rothberg , SD Haessler , RB Brown . Complications of viral influenza. American Journal of Medicine 2008; 121: 258–264.
17. GM Lee , Epidemiology and risk factors for Staphylococcus aureus colonization in children in the post-PCV7 era. BMC Infectious Diseases 2009; 9: 110.
18. P Jacoby , Modelling the co-occurrence of Streptococcus pneumoniae with other bacterial and viral pathogens in the upper respiratory tract. Vaccine 2007;25: 2458–2464.
19. EJ van Gils , Effect of reduced-dose schedules with 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on nasopharyngeal pneumococcal carriage in children: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Medical Association 2009; 302: 159–167.
20. DM Weinberger , R Malley , M Lipsitch . Serotype replacement in disease after pneumococcal vaccination. Lancet 2011; 378: 1962–1973.
21. AG Jansen , Invasive pneumococcal disease in the Netherlands: Syndromes, outcome and potential vaccine benefits. Vaccine 2009; 27: 2394–2401.
22. EJ van Gils , Pneumococcal conjugate vaccination and nasopharyngeal acquisition of pneumococcal serotype 19A strains. Journal of the American Medical Association 2010; 304: 1099–1106.
23. J Spijkerman , Carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae 3 years after start of vaccination program, the Netherlands. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2011; 17: 584–591.
24. DM Weinberger , Association of serotype with risk of death due to pneumococcal pneumonia: a meta-analysis. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 51: 692–699.
25. KE Elberse , Seroprevalence of IgG antibodies against 13 vaccine Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes in the Netherlands. Vaccine 2010; 29: 1029–1035.
26. G Regev-Yochay , The pneumococcal pilus predicts the absence of Staphylococcus aureus co-colonization in pneumococcal carriers. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2009; 48: 760–763.
27. DC Melles , Nasopharyngeal co-colonization with Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pneumoniae in children is bacterial genotype independent. Microbiology 2007; 153: 686–692.
28. A Lebon , The inverse correlation between Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pneumoniae colonization in infants is not explained by differences in serum antibody levels in the Generation R Study. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology 2011; 18: 180–183.
29. A Basset , Association of the pneumococcal pilus with certain capsular serotypes but not with increased virulence. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2007; 45: 1684–1689.
30. DM Weinberger , Pneumococcal capsular polysaccharide structure predicts serotype prevalence. PLoS Pathogens 2009; 5: e1000476.
32. PR Paradiso . Advances in pneumococcal disease prevention: 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine for infants and children. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011; 52: 1241–1247.
34. M Miller , Incidence and persistence of Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization in a community sample of HIV-infected and -uninfected drug users. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 45: 343–346.