This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. M Sangvik , Age- and gender-associated Staphylococcus aureus spa types found among nasal carriers in a general population: the Tromso Staph and Skin Study. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2011; 49: 4213–4218.
4. MZ David , Methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus as a predominantly healthcare-associated pathogen: a possible reversal of roles? PloS One 2011; 6: e18217.
H Ghasemzadeh-Moghaddam ,
Methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus from clinical and community sources are genetically diverse. International Journal of Medical Microbiology
2011; 301: 347–353.
BA Miko ,
Molecular characterization of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates in the United States, 2004 to 2010. Journal of Clinical Microbiology
2013; 51: 874–879.
RA Bonomo . Multiple antibiotic-resistant bacteria in long-term-care facilities: an emerging problem in the practice of infectious diseases. Clinical Infectious Diseases
2000; 31: 1414–1422.
O Denis ,
Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among residents of nursing homes in Belgium. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
2009; 64: 1299–1306.
HF Wertheim ,
The role of nasal carriage in Staphylococcus aureus infections. Lancet Infectious Diseases
2005; 5: 751–762.
16. C von Eiff , Nasal carriage as a source of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Study Group. New England Journal of Medicine 2001; 344: 11–16.
17. A van Belkum , Reclassification of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage types. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2009; 199: 1820–1826.
PO Verhoeven ,
An algorithm based on one or two nasal samples is accurate to identify persistent nasal carriers of Staphylococcus aureus
. Clinical Microbiology and Infection
2012; 18: 551–557.
D Mertz ,
Throat swabs are necessary to reliably detect carriers of Staphylococcus aureus
. Clinical Infectious Diseases : 2007; 45: 475–477.
23. M Olofsson , Colonization with Staphylococcus aureus in Swedish nursing homes: a cross-sectional study. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 2012; 44: 3–8.
Bravell M Ernsth ,
How to assess frailty and the need for care? Report from the Study of Health and Drugs in the Elderly (SHADES) in community dwellings in Sweden. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics
2011; 53: 40–45.
P Nilsson , H Alexandersson , T Ripa . Use of broth enrichment and real-time PCR to exclude the presence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in clinical samples: a sensitive screening approach. Clinical Microbiology and Infection
2005; 11: 1027–1034.
BC Kahl ,
Variation of the polymorphic region X of the protein A gene during persistent airway infection of cystic fibrosis patients reflects two independent mechanisms of genetic change in Staphylococcus aureus
. Journal of Clinical Microbiology
2005; 43: 502–505.
29. S Mernelius , The effect of improved compliance with hygiene guidelines on transmission of Staphylococcus aureus to newborn infants: The Swedish Hygiene Intervention and Transmission of S aureus study. American Journal of Infection Control 2013; 41: 585–590.
C Cespedes ,
The clonality of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage. Journal of Infectious Diseases
2005; 191: 444–452.
K Mongkolrattanothai ,
Simultaneous carriage of multiple genotypes of Staphylococcus aureus in children. Journal of Medical Microbiology
2011; 60: 317–322.
JL Nouwen ,
Predicting the Staphylococcus aureus nasal carrier state: derivation and validation of a ‘culture rule’. Clinical Infectious Diseases
2004; 39: 806–811.
36. DC Melles , Overlapping population structures of nasal isolates of Staphylococcus aureus from healthy Dutch and American individuals. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2008; 46: 235–241.
37. L Stark , Staphylococcus aureus isolates from blood and anterior nares induce similar innate immune responses in endothelial cells. APMIS 2009; 117: 814–824.