This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. JK. Kreiss SG Hopkins . The association between circumcision status and human immunodeficiency virus infection among homosexual men. J Infect Dis 1993; 168: 1404–8.
5. S Segal-Maurer , GE Kalkut . Environmental control of tuberculosis: continuing controversy. Clin Infect Dis 1994; 19: 299–308.
6. RL Riley . Prevention and control of airborne infection in the community. Ann NY Acad Sci 1980; 353: 331–9.
12. JL Schulman . Experimental transmission of influenza virus infection in mice. IV. Relationship of transmissibility of different strains of virus and recovery of airborne virus in the environment of effector mice. J Exp Med 1967; 125: 479–88.
14. TA Springer . Traffic signals for lymphocyte recirculation and leukocyte migration: the multistep paradigm. Cell 1994: 76: 301–4.
16. ER Boulan , M Prendergast . Polarized distribution of viral envelope proteins in the plasma membrane of infected epithelial cells. Cell 1980; 20: 45–54.
17. E Marshall . Hantaan outbreak yields to PCR. Science 1993; 262: 832–6.
18. JS. Duchin FT. Koster CJ Peters , Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: clinical description of 17 patients with a newly recognized disease. New Engl J Med 1994; 330: 949–55.
19. ST. Nichol CE Spiropoulou , S Morzunov , Genetic identification of a hantavirus associated with an outbreak of acute respiratory illness. Science 1993; 262: 914–17.
22. EJ Stott , RA Killington . Rhinoviruses. Ann Rev Microbiol 1972; 26: 503–22.
23. JD Almeida , AF Howatson , MG Williams . Electron microscopy study of human warts, sites of virus production, and the nature of the inclusion bodies. J Invest Derm 1962; 38: 337–42.
24. MA. O'Sullivan HM Killen . The differentiation state of monocytic cells affects their susceptibility to infection and the effects of infection by dengue virus. J Gen Virol 1994: 75: 2387–92.
25. BD. Trapp JA. Small M. Pulley G. Khoury GA Scangos . Dysmyelination in transgenic mice containing JC virus early region. Ann Neurol 1988; 23: 38–48.
26. HD. Klenk W Garten . Host cell proteases controlling virus pathogenicity. Trends Microbiol 1994; 2: 39–43.
27. GL Smith . Virus strategies for evasion of the host response to infection. Trends Microbiol 1994; 2: 81–8.
28. MG Katze . Regulation of the interferon-induced PKR; can viruses cope? Trends Microbiol 1995: 3: 75–8.
29. GK Hirst . Comparison of influenza virus strains from three epidemics. J Exp Med 1947: 86: 367–81.
30. CB Hall , RG. Douglas JM Geimen , MP Meagher . Viral shedding patterns of children with influenza B infection. J Infect Dis 1979; 140: 610–13.
32. EC Dick , LC Jennings , KA Mink , Aerosol transmission of rhinovirus colds. J Infect Dis 1987; 156: 442–8.
35. JM. Leclair JA Zaia , MJ. Levin RG Congdon , DA Goldman . Airborne transmission of chickenpox in a hospital. New Engl J Med 1980; 302: 450–3.
36. AI Donaldson . Quantitative data on airborne foot and mouth disease virus, its production, carriage and deposition. Trans Roy Soc B 1983; 302: 529–34.
38. V Knight . Viruses as agents of airborne contagion. Ann NY Acad Sci 1980; 353: 147–56.
41. DM Phillips , VR. Zacharopoulus X. Tan R Pearce-Pratt . Mechanism of transmission of HIV: does HIV infect intact epithelia? Trends Microbiol 1995; 2: 454–8.
42. D Robertst , PM Sharp , FE. McCutchan BH Hahn . Recombination in HIV-1. Nature 1995: 374: 124–6.
44. PB Jahrling , TW Geisbert , DW Dalgard Preliminary report: isolation of Ebola virus from monkeys imported to USA. Lancet 1990; 335: 502–5.
45. K. Murray P. Selleck P Hooper , A morbillivirus that caused fatal disease in horses and humans. Science 1995: 268: 94–7.
46. RL. Ruff D Secrist . Viral studies on benign acute childhood myositis. Arch Neurol 1992: 39: 261–4.
47. Y Kawaoka , RG Webster . Molecular mechanisms of acquisition of virulence in influenza viruses in nature. Microb Pathogenesis 1988; 5: 311–18.
48. S Siddell , H Wege , Meulen V ter . The biology of coronaviruses. J Gen Virol 1983: 64: 761–72.