This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. MA Karmali . Infection by verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli. Clin Microbiol Rev 1989; 2: 15–38.
2. HR Smith , SM Scotland . Vero cytotoxin-producing strains of Escherichia coli. J Med Microbiol 1988; 26: 77–85.
3. LW Riley . The epidemiologic, clinical, and microbiologic features of hemorrhagic colitis. Ann Rev Microbiol 1987; 41: 383–407.
5. M Bitzan , H Karch , MG Maas , Clinical and genetic aspects of shiga-like toxin production in traditional enteropathogenic Escherichia coli. Zentralbl Bakteriol 1991; 274: 496–506.
7. M Katouli , I Kühn , R Möllby . Biochemical phenotypes of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli common to Iran and Sweden. J Med Microbiol 1991; 35: 270–7.
9. SM Scotland , NP Day , B Rowe . Production of a cytotoxin affecting Vero cells by strains of Escherichia coli belonging to traditional enteropathogenic serogroups. FEMS Microbiol Lett 1980; 7: 15–7.
10. SM Scotland , GA Willshaw , HR Smith , B Rowe . Properties of strains of Escherichia coli O26: H11 in relation to their enteropathogenic or enterohemorrhagic classification. J Infect Dis 1990; 162: 1069–74.
11. GA Willshaw , SM Scotland , HR Smith , B Rowe . Properties of Vero cytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli of human origin belonging to O-serogroups other than O157. J Infect Dis 1992; 166: 797–802.
14. A Thomas , HR Smith , GA Willshaw , B Rowe . Non-radioactively labelled polynucleotide and oligonucleotide DNA probes, for selectively detecting Escherichia coli strains producing Vero cytotoxins VT1, VT2 and VT2 variant. Molec Cell Probes 1991; 5: 129–35.
15. MM Levine , J-g Xu , JB Kaper , A DNA probe to identify enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli of O157:H7 and other serotypes that cause hemorrhagic colitis and hemolytic uremic syndrome. J Infect Dis 1987; 156: 175–82.
17. AE Jerse , J Yu , BD Tall , JB Kaper . A genetic locus of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli necessary for the production of attaching and effacing lesions on tissue culture cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1990; 87: 7839–43.
18. B Baudry , SJ Savarino , P Vial , JB Kaper , MM Levine . A sensitive and specific DNA probe to identify enteroaggregative Escherichia coli, a recently discovered diarrheal pathogen. J Infect Dis 1990; 161: 1249–51.
22. SM Scotland , GA Willshaw , HR Smith , RJ Gross , B Rowe . Adhesion to cells in culture and plasmid profiles of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli isolated from outbreaks and sporadic cases of infant diarrhoea. J Infect 1989; 19: 237–49.
24. GA Willshaw , HR Smith , MM McConnell , Plasmid-encoded production of coli-surface associated antigen 1 (CS1) in a strain of Escherichia coli serotype O139. H28. Microb Path 1990; 9: 1–11.
33. HR Smith , SM Scotland , N Stokes , B Rowe . Examination of strains belonging to enteropathogenic Escherichia coli serogroups for genes encoding EPEC adherence factor and Vero cytotoxins. J Med Microbiol 1990; 31: 235–40.
35. SM Scotland , HR Smith , B Said , GA Willshaw , T Cheasty , B Rowe . Identification of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli isolated in Britain as enteroaggregative or as members of a subclass of attaching-and-effacing E. coli not hybridising with the EPEC adherence-factor probe. J Med Microbiol 1991; 35: 278–83.
38. MK Bhan , P Raj , MM Levine , Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli associated with persistent diarrhea in a cohort of rural children in India. J Infect Dis 1989; 159: 1061–4.
39. A Cravioto , A Tello , A Navarro , Association of Escherichia coli HEp-2 adherence patterns with type and duration of diarrhoea. Lancet 1991; 337: 262–4.
41. KJ Morris , GG Rao . Conventional screening for enteropathogenic Escherichia coli in the UK. Is it appropriate or necessary? J Hosp Infect 1992; 21: 163–7.