This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. WP Weber , M Zwahlen , S Reck , et al.Economic burden of surgical site infections at a European university hospital. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:623–629.
4. CS Hollenbeak , D Murphy , WC Dunagan , VJ Fraser . Nonrandom selection and the attributable cost of surgical-site infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:177–182.
5. D Zoutman , S McDonald , D Vethanayagan . Total and attributable costs of surgical-wound infections at a Canadian tertiary care center. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1998;19:254–259.
6. R Plowman , N Graves , MA Griffin , et al.The rate and cost of hospital-acquired infections occurring in patients admitted to selected specialties of a district general hospital in England and the national burden imposed. J Hosp Infect 2001;47:198–209.
7. EN Perencevich , KE Sands , SE Cosgrove , E Guadagnoli , E Meara , R Platt . Health and economic impact of surgical site infections diagnosed after hospital discharge. Emerg Infect Dis 2003;9:196–203.
8. SA McGarry , JJ Engemann , K Schmader , DJ Sexton , KS Kaye . Surgical-site infection due to Staphylococcus aureus among elderly patients: mortality, duration of hospitalization, and cost. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004;25:461–467.
9. DJ Anderson , KB Kirkland , KS Kaye , et al.Underresourced hospital infection control and prevention programs: penny wise, pound foolish? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28:767–773.
10. KS Kaye , DJ Anderson , R Sloane , et al.The effect of surgical site infection on older operative patients. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009;57:46–54.
11. JD Whitehouse , D Friedman , KS Kirkland , WJ Richardson , DJ Sexton . The impact of surgical-site infections following orthopedic surgery at a community hospital and a university hospital: adverse quality of life, excess length of stay, and extra cost. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:183–189.
12. MA Olsen , S Chu-Ongsakul , KE Brandt , JR Dietz , J Mayfield , VJ Fraser . Hospital-associated costs due to surgical site infection after breast surgery. Arch Surg 2008;143:53–60.
13. AWJ Jenney , GA Harrington , PL Russo , DW Spelman . Cost of surgical site infections following coronary artery bypass surgery. ANZ J Surg 2001;71:662–664.
14. D Coskun , J Aytac , A Aydinli , A Bayer . Mortality rate, length of stay and extra cost of sternal surgical site infections following coronary artery bypass grafting in a private medical centre in Turkey. J Hosp Infect 2005;60:176–179.
15. R Coello , A Charlett , J Wilson , V Ward , A Pearson , P Borriello . Adverse impact of surgical site infections in English hospitals. J Hosp Infect 2005;60:93–103.
17. N Graves , D Weinhold , E Tong , et al.Effect of healthcare-acquired infection on length of hospital stay and cost. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28:280–292.
18. N Graves , JE McGowan Jr Nosocomial infection, the Deficit Reduction Act, and incentives for hospitals. JAMA 2008;300:1577–1579.
19. LR Hirschhorn , JS Currier , R Piatt . Electronic surveillance of antibiotic exposure and coded discharge diagnoses as indicators of postoperative infection and other quality assurance measures. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1993;14:21–28.
20. DS Yokoe , GA Noskin , SM Cunningham , et al.Enhanced identification of postoperative infections. Emerg Infect Dis 2004;10:1924–1930.
21. MA Olsen , AM Butler , DM Willers , P Devkota , GA Gross , VJ Fraser . Risk factors for surgical site infection after low transverse cesarean section. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:477–484.
22. MA Olsen , AM Butler , DM Willers , GA Gross , P Devkota , VJ Fraser . Risk factors for endometritis following low transverse cesarean section. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010;31:69–77.
27. DB Rubin . Estimating causal effects from large data sets using propensity scores. Ann Intern Med 1997;127:757–763.
28. P Rosenbaum , D Rubin . The central role of the propensity score in observational studies for causal effects. Biometrika 1983;70:41–55.
29. J Reilly , S Twaddle , J McIntosh , L Kean . An economic analysis of surgical wound infection. J Hosp Infect 2001;49:245–249.
30. M Mugford , J Kingston , I Chalmers . Reducing the incidence of infection after caesarean section: implications of prophylaxis with antibiotics for hospital resources. BMJ 1989;299:1003–1006.
32. D Chelmow , M Hennesy , EG Evantash . Prophylactic antibiotics for non-laboring patients with intact membranes undergoing cesarean delivery: an economic analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004;191:1661–1665.