This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. BJ Stoll , T Gordon , SB Korones , et al. Late-onset sepsis in very low birth weight neonates: a report from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. J Pediatr 1996;129:63–71.
2. BJ Stoll , N Hansen , AA Fanaroff , et al. Late-onset sepsis in very low birth weight neonates: the experience of the NICHD Neonatal Research Network. Pediatrics 2002;110:285–291.
3. Y Huang , YH Wang , YH Chou , RI Lien . Significance of coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from a single blood culture from neonates in intensive care. Ann Trop Paediatr 2006;26:311–318.
4. D Isaacs . A ten year, multicentre study of coagulase negative staphylococcal infections in Australasian neonatal units. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2003;88:F89–F93.
5. CM Healy , DL Palazzi , MS Edwards , JR Campbell , CJ Baker . Features of invasive staphylococcal disease in neonates. Pediatrics 2004;114:953–961.
7. M Liljedahl , L Bodin , J Schollin . Coagulase-negative staphylococcal sepsis as a predictor of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Acta Paediatr 2004;93:211–215.
8. R Mittendorf , N Roizen , A Moawad , B Khoshnood , KS Lee . Association between cerebral palsy and coagulase-negative staphylococci. Lancet 1999;354:1875–1876.
9. BJ Stoll , NI Hansen , I Adams-Chapman , et al. Neurodevelopmental and growth impairment among extremely low-birth-weight infants with neonatal infection. JAMA 2004;292:2357–2365.
11. AK Zaidi , LJ Harrell , JR Rost , LB Reller . Assessment of similarity among coagulase-negative staphylococci from sequential blood cultures of neonates and children by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. J Infect Dis 1996;174(5):1010–1014.
14. ME Rupp , LA Gordon . Coagulase-negative staphylococci: pathogens associated with medical progress. Clin Infect Dis 1994;19:231–243.
15. MA Pfaller , LA Herwaldt . Laboratory, clinical, and epidemiological aspects of coagulase-negative staphylococci. Clin Microbiol Rev 1988;1:281–299.
16. BJ Stoll , N Hansen , AA Fanaroff , et al. To tap or not to tap: high likelihood of meningitis without sepsis among very low birth weight infants. Pediatrics 2004;113:1181–1186.
17. RL Chapman , RG Faix . Persistently positive cultures and outcome in invasive neonatal candidiasis. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2000;19:822–827.
18. RL Chapman , RG Faix . Persistent bacteremia and outcome in late onset infection among infants in a neonatal intensive care unit. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2003;22:17–21.
19. WA Bonadio , DS Smith , E Madagame , J Machi , N Kini . Escherichia coli bacteremia in children: a review of 91 cases in 10 years. Am J Dis Child 1991;145:671–674.
21. R Clark , R Powers , R White , B Bloom , P Sanchez , DK Benjamin Jr. Nosocomial infection in the NICU: a medical complication or unavoidable problem? J Perinatol 2004;24:382–388.
22. IR Makhoul , P Sujov , T Smolkin , A Lusky , B Reichman . Epidemiological, clinical, and microbiological characteristics of late-onset sepsis among very low birth weight infants in Israel: a national survey. Pediatrics 2002;109:34–39.
23. LG Rubin , PJ Sánchez , J Siegel , G Levine , L Saiman , WR Jarvis ; Pediatric Prevention Network. Evaluation and treatment of neonates with suspected late-onset sepsis: a survey of neonatologists' practices. Pediatrics 2002;110:e42.
24. TG Connell , M Rele , D Cowley , JP Buttery , N Curtis . How reliable is a negative blood culture result? volume of blood submitted for culture in routine practice in a children's hospital. Pediatrics 2007;119:891–896.
25. TC Horan , M Andrus , MA Dudeck . CDC/NHSH surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:309–332.
29. DK Benjamin Jr, K Ross , RE McKinney Jr, DK Benjamin , R Auten , RG Fisher . When to suspect fungal infection in neonates: a clinical comparison of Candida albicans and Candida parapsilosis fungemia with coagulase-negative staphylococcal bacteremia. Pediatrics 2000;106:712–718.
31. DW Bates , L Goldman , TH Lee . Contaminant blood cultures and resource utilization: the true consequences of false-positive results. JAMA 1991;265:365–369.