1. Otter, JA, Yezli, S, Salkeld, JA, French, GL. Evidence that contaminated surfaces contribute to the transmission of hospital pathogens and an overview of strategies to address contaminated surfaces in hospital settings. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:S6–S11.
2. Donskey, CJ. Does improving surface cleaning and disinfection reduce health care-associated infections? Am J Infect Control 2013;41:S12–S19.
3. Rutala, WA, Weber, DJ. Monitoring and improving the effectiveness of surface cleaning and disinfection. Am J Infect Control 2016;44:e69–e76.
4. Carling, P. Methods for assessing the adequacy of practice and improving room disinfection. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:S20–S25.
5. Weber, DJ, Rutala, WA, Anderson, DJ, Chen, LF, Sickbert-Bennett, EE, Boyce, JM. Effectiveness of UV devices and hydrogen peroxide systems for terminal room decontamination: Focus on clinical trials. Am J Infect Control 2016;44:e77–e84.
6. Anderson, DJ, Chen, LF, Weber, DJ, et al. The benefits of enhanced terminal room (BETR) disinfection study: a prospective, cluster randomized, multicenter, crossover study to evaluate the impact of enhanced terminal room disinfection on acquisition and infection caused by multidrug-resistant organisms. Lancet 2017;389:805–814.
7. Magill, SS, Edwards, JR, Bamberg, W, Beldavs, ZG, Dumyati, G, et al. Multistate point-prevalence survey of healthcare-associated infections. New Engl J Med 2014;370:1198–1208.
8. Chen, LF, Knelson, L, Gergen, M, et al. A prospective study of transmission of multi-drug resistant organism (MDRO) between environmental sites and hospital patients-The TransFER study. Submitted for publication.
9. Huslage, K, Rutala, WA, Gergen, MF, Sickbert-Bennett, EE, Weber, DJ. Microbial assessment of high-, medium-, and low-touch hospital room surfaces. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013;34:211–212.