This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. LC McDonald , M Owings , DB Jernigan . Increasing incidence of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in US short-stay hospitals, 1996-2003. Emerg Infect Dis 2006;12:409–415.
3. L Eggertson , B Sibbald . Hospitals battling outbreaks of Clostridium difficile. CMAJ 2004;171:19–21.
4. LC McDonald , GE Killgore , A Thompson , et al. An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2433–2441.
5. M Warny , J Pepin , A Fang , et al. Toxin production by an emerging strain of Clostridium difficile associated with outbreaks of severe disease in North America and Europe. Lancet 2005;366:1079–1084.
6. R Gaynes , D Rimland , E Killum , et al. Outbreak of Clostridium difficile infection in a long-term care facility: association with gatifloxacin use. Clin Infect Dis 2004;38:640–645.
10. WN Fawley , MH Wilcox . Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis can yield DNA fingerprints of degradation-susceptible Clostridium difficile strains. J Clin Microbiol 2002;40:3546–3547.
11. S Stubbs , M Rupnik , M Gibert , J Brazier , B Duerden , M Popoff . Production of actin-specific ADP-ribosyltransferase (binary toxin) by strains of Clostridium difficile. FEMS Microbiol Lett 2000;186:307–312.
12. P Spigaglia , P Mastrantonio . Molecular analysis of the pathogenicity locus and polymorphism in the putative negative regulator of toxin production (TcdC) among Clostridium difficile clinical isolates. J Clin Microbiol 2002;40:3470–3475.
14. A Elixhauser , C Steiner , DR Harris , RM Coffey . Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data. Med Care 1998;36:8–27.
15. DN Gerding , S Johnson , LR Peterson , ME Mulligan , J Silva Jr. Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea and colitis. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1995;16:459–477.