This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. LC McDonald , M Owings , DB Jernigan . Clostridium difficile infection in patients discharged from US short-stay hospitals, 1996-2003. Emerg Infect Dis 2006;12(3):409–415.
5. MD Zilberberg , AF Shorr , MH Kollef . Growth and geographic variation in hospitalizations with resistant infections, United States, 2000-2005. Emerg Infect Dis 2008;14(11):1756–1758.
7. MP Bauer , DW Notermans , BH van Benthem , et al. Clostridium difficile infection in Europe: a hospital-based survey. Lancet 2011;377(9759):63–73.
8. VG Loo , L Poirier , MA Miller , et al. A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality. N Engl J Med 2005; 353(23):2442–2449.
9. M Miller , D Gravel , M Mulvey , et al. Health care-associated Clostridium difficile infection in Canada: patient age and infecting strain type are highly predictive of severe outcome and mortality. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50(2):194–201.
10. DM Denno , N Shaikh , JR Stapp , et al. Diarrhea etiology in a pediatric emergency department: a case control study. Clin Infect Dis 2012;55(7):897–904.
11. RE Feghaly , JL Stauber , PI Tarr , DB Hasiam . Viral co-infections are common and are associated with higher bacterial burden in children with Clostridium difficile infection. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2013;57(6):813–816.
12. C Rousseau , I Poilane , De L Pontual , AC Maherault , A Le Monnier , A Collignon . Clostridium difficile carriage in healthy infants in the community: a potential reservoir for pathogenic strains. Clin Infect Dis 2012;55(9):1209–1215.
15. ER Dubberke , KA Reske , Y Yan , MA Olsen , LC McDonald , VJ Fraser . Clostridium difficile-associated disease in a setting of endemicity: identification of novel risk factors. Clin Infect Dis 2007;45(12):1543–1549.
17. J Kim , JF Shaklee , S Smathers , et al. Risk factors and outcomes associated with severe Clostridium difficile infection in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2012;31(2):134–138.
19. LC McDonald , GE Killgore , A Thompson , et al. An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile. N Engl f Med 2005;353(23):2433–2441.
20. DA Burns , D Heeg , ST Cartman , NP Minton . Reconsidering the sporulation characteristics of hypervirulent Clostridium difficile BI/NAP1/027. PLoS ONE 2011;6(9):e24894.
21. M Merrigan , A Venugopal , M Mallozzi , et al. Human hyper-virulent Clostridium difficile strains exhibit increased sporulation as well as robust toxin production, J Bacteriol 2010; 192(19):4904–4911.
22. M Warny , J Pepin , A Fang , et al. Toxin production by an emerging strain of Clostridium difficile associated with outbreaks of severe disease in North America and Europe. Lancet 2005;366(9491):1079–1084.
23. AS Walker , DW Eyre , DH Wyllie , et al. Relationship between bacterial strain type, host biomarkers, and mortality in Clostridium difficile infection. Clin Infect Dis 2013;56(11):1589–1600.
25. AK Cheknis , SP Sambol , DM Davidson , et al. Distribution of Clostridium difficile strains from a North American, European and Australian trial of treatment for C. difficile infections: 2005-2007. Anaerobe 2009;15(6):230–233.
27. ER Dubberke , AM Butler , KA Reske , et al. Attributable outcomes of endemic Clostridium difficile-associated disease in nonsurgical patients. Emerg Infect Dis 2008;14(7):1031–1038.
28. ER Dubberke , MA Olsen . Burden of Clostridium difficile on the healthcare system. Clin Infect Dis 2012;55(suppl 2):S88–S92.
29. AJ Hall , AT Curns , LC McDonald , UD Parashar , BA Lopman . The roles of Clostridium difficile and norovirus among gastroenteritis-associated deaths in the United States, 1999-2007. Clin Infect Dis 2012;55(2):216–223.
30. JS Sammons , R Localio , R Xiao , SE Coffin , T. Zaoutis Clostridium difficile infection is associated with increased risk of death and prolonged hospitalization in children. Clin Infect Dis 2013;57(1):1–8.
31. J Pepin , N Saheb , MA Coulombe , et al. Emergence of fluo-roquinolones as the predominant risk factor for Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea: a cohort study during an epidemic in Quebec. Clin Infect Dis 2005;41(9):1254–1260.
32. S Dial , JA Delaney , AN Barkun , S. Suissa Use of gastric acid-suppressive agents and the risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile-associated disease. JAMA 2005;294(23):2989–2995.
33. J Belmares , DN Gerding , JP Parada , S Miskevics , F Weaver , S. Johnson Outcome of metronidazole therapy for Clostridium difficile disease and correlation with a scoring system. J Infect 2007;55(6):495–501.
34. DM Musher , S Aslam , N Logan , et al. Relatively poor outcome after treatment of Clostridium difficile colitis with metronidazole. Clin Infect Dis 2005;40(11):1586–1590.
35. FA Zar , SR Bakkanagari , KM Moorthi , MB Davis . A comparison of vancomycin and metronidazole for the treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea, stratified by disease severity. Clin Infect Dis 2007;45(3):302–307.
36. EJ Kuijper , B Coignard , P. Tull Emergence of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in North America and Europe. Clin Microbiol Infect 2006;12(suppl 6):2–18.
38. ER Dubberke , Z Han , L Bobo , et al. Impact of clinical symptoms on interpretation of diagnostic assays for Clostridium difficile infections, J Clin Microbiol 2011;49(8):2887–2893.
39. J Pepin , L Valiquette , B. Cossette Mortality attributable to nosocomial Clostridium difficile-associated disease during an epidemic caused by a hypervirulent strain in Quebec. CMA/2005; 173(9):1037–1042.
41. Y Longtin , S Trottier , G Brochu , et al. Impact of the type of diagnostic assay on Clostridium difficile infection and complication rates in a mandatory reporting program. Clin Infect Dis 2013;56(1):67–73.
42. TD Planche , KA Davies , PG Coen , et al. Differences in outcome according to Clostridium difficile testing method: a prospective multicentre diagnostic validation study of C difficile infection. Lancet Infect Dis 2013;13(11):936–945.
43. ER Dubberke , KA Reske , LC McDonald , VJ Fraser . ICD-9 codes and surveillance for Clostridium difficile-associated disease. Emerg Infect Dis 2006;12(10):1576–1579.
46. CR Polage , DL Chin , JL Leslie , J Tang , SH Cohen , JV Solnick . Outcomes in patients tested for Clostridium difficile toxins. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2012;74(4):369–373.
49. MP Bauer , EJ Kuijper , JT van Dissel . European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID): treatment guidance document for Clostridium difficile infection (CDI). Clin Microbiol Infect 2009;15(12):1067–1079.
51. CM Surawicz , LJ Brandt , DG Binion , et al. Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of Clostridium difficile infections. Am J Gastroenterol 2013;108(4):478–498.
53. SP Stone , BS Cooper , CC Kibbler , et al. The ORION statement: guidelines for transparent reporting of outbreak reports and intervention studies of nosocomial infection. Lancet Infect Dis 2007;7(4):282–288.
54. S Fowler , A Webber , BS Cooper , et al. Successful use of feedback to improve antibiotic prescribing and reduce Clostridium difficile infection: a controlled interrupted time series. J Anti-microb Chemother 2007;59(5):990–995.
55. L Valiquette , B Cossette , MP Garant , H Diab , J. Pepin Impact of a reduction in the use of high-risk antibiotics on the course of an epidemic of Clostridium difficile-associated disease caused by the hypervirulent NAPI/027 strain. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 45(suppl 2):S112–S121.
56. MA Aldeyab , MP Kearney , MG Scott , et al. An evaluation of the impact of antibiotic stewardship on reducing the use of high-risk antibiotics and its effect on the incidence of Clostridium difficile infection in hospital settings. JAnúmicrob Chemother 2012;67(12):2988–2996.
57. MJ Talpaert , RG Gopal , BS Cooper , P. Wade Impact of guidelines and enhanced antibiotic stewardship on reducing broad-spectrum antibiotic usage and its effect on incidence of Clostridium difficile infection. J Antimicrob Chemother 2011;66(9): 2168–2174.
58. DM Guerrero , MM Nerandzic , LA Jury , S Jinno , S Chang , CJ Donskey . Acquisition of spores on gloved hands after contact with the skin of patients with Clostridium difficile infection and with environmental surfaces in their rooms. Am J Infect Control 2012;40(6):556–558.
59. LV McFarland , ME Mulligan , RY Kwok , WE Stamm . Nosocomial acquisition of Clostridium difficile infection. N Engl J Med 1989;320(4):204–210.
63. RG Gopal , A Jeanes , M Osman , C Aylott , J. Green Marketing hand hygiene in hospitals—a case study, J Hosp Infect 2002; 50(1):42–47.
66. N Knight , T Strait , N Anthony , et al. Clostridium difficile colitis: a retrospective study of incidence and severity before and after institution of an alcohol-based hand rub policy. Am J Infect Control 2010;38(7):523–528.
68. N Vernaz , H Sax , D Pittet , P Bonnabry , J Schrenzel , S. Harbarth Temporal effects of antibiotic use and hand rub consumption on the incidence of MRSA and Clostridium difficile. Antimicrob Chemother 2008;62(3):601–607.
70. VT Chang , K. Nelson The role of physical proximity in nosocomial diarrhea. Clin Infect Dis 2000;31(3):717–722.
71. CR Clabots , S Johnson , MM Olson , LR Peterson , DN Gerding . Acquisition of Clostridium difficileby hospitalized patients: evidence for colonized new admissions as a source of infection. J Infect Dis 1992;166(3):561–567.
72. MH Samore , L Venkataraman , PC DeGirolami , RD Arbeit , AW Karchmer . Clinical and molecular epidemiology of sporadic and clustered cases of nosocomial Clostridium difficile diarrhea. Am J Med 1996;100(1):32–40.
74. JL Mayfield , T Leet , J Miller , LM Mundy . Environmental control to reduce transmission of Clostridium difficile. Clin Infect Dis 2000;31(4):995–1000.
75. MH Wilcox , WN Fawley , N Wigglesworth , P Parnell , P Verity , J. Freeman Comparison of the effect of detergent versus hy-pochlorite cleaning on environmental contamination and incidence of Clostridium difficile infection. J Hosp Infect 2003; 54(2):109–114.
76. AE Simor . Diagnosis, management, and prevention of Clostridium difficile infection in long-term care facilities: a review. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010;58(8):1556–1564.
78. VG Loo , AM Bourgault , L Poirier , et al. Host and pathogen factors for Clostridium difficile infection and colonization. N Engl J Med 2011;365(18):1693–1703.
79. SB Doernberg , LG Winston , DH Deck , HE Chambers Does doxycycline protect against development of Clostridium difficile infection? Clin Infect Dis 2012;55(5):615–620.
80. F Le , V Arora , DN Shah , M Salazar , HR Palmer , KW Garey . A real-world evaluation of oral vancomycin for severe Clostridium difficile infection: implications for antibiotic stewardship programs. Pharmacotherapy 2012;32(2):129–134.
81. SE Harpe , TJ Inocencio , AL Pakyz , MJ Oinonen , RE Polk . Characterization of continued antibacterial therapy after diagnosis of hospital-onset Clostridium difficile infection: implications for antimicrobial stewardship. Pharmacotherapy 2012; 32(8):744–754.
84. ER Dubberke , KA Reske , J Noble-Wang , et al. Prevalence of Clostridium difficile environmental contamination and strain variability in multiple health care facilities. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(5):315–318.
85. DM Dumford III, MM Nerandzic , BC Eckstein , CJ Donskey . What is on that keyboard? detecting hidden environmental reservoirs of Clostridium difficile during an outbreak associated with North American pulsed-field gel electrophoresis type 1 strains. Am J Infect Control 2009;37(1):15–19.
86. AM Lewis , J Gammon , I Hosein . The pros and cons of isolation and containment, J Hosp Infect 1999;43(1):19–23.
91. PC Carling , MF Parry , SM Von Beheren . Identifying opportunities to enhance environmental cleaning in 23 acute care hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29(1):1–7.
93. MH Wilcox , WN Fawley , P. Parnell Value of lysozyme agar incorporation and alkaline thioglycollate exposure for the environmental recovery of Clostridium difficile. Hosp Infect 2000; 44(1):65–69.
100. C McNulty , M Logan , IP Donald , et al. Successful control of Clostridium difficile infection in an elderly care unit through use of a restrictive antibiotic policy, J Antimicrob Chemother 1997;40(5):707–711.
101. SM Pear , TH Williamson , KM Bettin , DN Gerding , JN Galgiani . Decrease in nosocomial Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea by restricting clindamycin use. Ann Intern Med 1994; 120(4):272–277.
102. S Johnson , SR Homann , KM Bettin , et al. Treatment of asymptomatic Clostridium difficile carriers (fecal excretors) with van-comycin or metronidazole: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1992;117(4):297–302.
103. KB Kirkland , JM Weinstein . Adverse effects of contact isolation. Lancet 1999;354(9185):1177–1178.
104. DJ Morgan , DJ Diekema , K Sepkowitz , EN Perencevich . Adverse outcomes associated with contact precautions: a review of the literature. Am J Infect Control 2009;37(2):85–93.
105. S Saint , LA Higgins , BK Nallamothu , C. Chenoweth Do physicians examine patients in contact isolation less frequently? a brief report. Am J Infect Control 2003;31(6):354–356.
106. HT Stelfox , DW Bates , DA Redelmeier . Safety of patients isolated for infection control. JAMA 2003;290(14):1899–1905.
107. LV McFarland , GW Elmer , CM Surawicz . Breaking the cycle: treatment strategies for 163 cases of recurrent Clostridium difficile disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2002;97(7):1769–1775.
108. JD Siegel , E Rhinehart , M Jackson , L. Chiarello 2007 Guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(10 suppl 2):S65–S164.
109. JZ Goldenberg , SS Ma , JD Saxton , et al. Probiotics for the prevention of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in adults and children. Cochmne Database Syst Rev 2013;5:CD006095.
110. BC Johnston , SS Ma , JZ Goldenberg , et al. Probiotics for the prevention of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2012; 157(12):878–888.
113. SJ Allen , K Wareham , D Wang , et al. Lactobacilli and bifido-bacteria in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhoea and Clostridium difficile diarrhoea in older inpatients (PLACIDE): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial. Lancet 2013;382(9900):1249–1257.
114. P Munoz , E Bouza , M Cuenca-Estrella , et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae fungemia: an emerging infectious disease. Clin Infect Dis 2005;40(11):1625–1634.
116. SK Wong , A Kneebone , M Morgan , CJ Henderson , A Morgan , B. Jalaludin Surgical management of colorectal cancer in south-western Sydney 1997-2001: a prospective series of 1293 unselected cases from six public hospitals. ANZ J Surg 2005; 75(9):776–782.
119. JE Farley , D Doughman , R Jeeva , P Jeffries , JM Stanley . Department of Health and Human Services releases new immersive simulation experience to improve infection control knowledge and practices among health care workers and students. Am J Infect Control 2012;40(3):258–259.
120. T Landers , S Abusalem , MB Coty , J. Bingham Patient-centered hand hygiene: the next step in infection prevention. Am J Infect Control 2012;40(4 suppl 1):S11–S17.
122. GH Guyatt , AD Oxman , GE Vist , et al. GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 2008;336(7650):924–926.