This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JD Siegel , E Rhinehart , M Jackson , et al.2007 Guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(10 suppl 2):S65–S164.
9. PL Havens ; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Pediatric AIDS. Postexposure prophylaxis in children and adolescents for nonoccupational exposure to human immunodeficiency virus. Pediatrics 2003;111(6 pt 1):1475–1489.
11. DM Bell . Occupational risk of human immunodeficiency virus infection in healthcare workers: an overview. Am J Med 1997; 102(5B):9–15.
18. L Vidmar , M Poljak , J Tomazic , K Seme , I Klavs . Transmission of HIV-1 by human bite. Lancet 1996;347(9017):1762.
19. AK Deshpande , SK Jadhav , AH Bandivdekar . Possible transmission of HIV infection due to human bite. AIDS Res Ther 2011;8:16.
20. SM Andreo , LA Barra , LJ Costa , MC Sucupira , IE Souza , RS Diaz . HIV type 1 transmission by human bite. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2004;20(4):349–350.
21. G Ippolito , V Puro , G De Carli ; Italian Study Group on Occupational Risk of HIV infection. The risk of occupational human immunodeficiency virus infection in health care workers: Italian multicenter study. Arch Intern Med 1993;153(12):1451–1458.
22. DM Cardo , DH Culver , CA Ciesielski , et al; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Needlestick Surveillance Group. A case-control study of HIV seroconversion in health care workers after percutaneous exposure. N Engl J Med 1997;337(21):1485–1490.
23. ST Mast , JD Woolwine , JL Gerberding . Efficacy of gloves in reducing blood volumes transferred during simulated needle-stick injury. J Infect Dis 1993;168(6):1589–1592.
24. MR Furtado , DS Callaway , JP Phair , et al.Persistence of HIV-1 transcription in peripheral-blood mononuclear cells in patients receiving potent antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 1999; 340(21):1614–1622.
25. A Ibáñez , T Puig , J Elias , B Clotet , L Ruiz , MA Martinez . Quantification of integrated and total HIV-1 DNA after long-term highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1-infected patients. AIDS 1999;13(9):1045–1049.
27. R Tubiana , J Le Chenadec , C Rouzioux , et al.Factors associated with mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 despite a maternal viral load < 500 copies/ml at delivery: a case-control study nested in the French perinatal cohort (EPF-ANRS COI). Clin Infect Dis 2010;50(4):585–596.
29. CC Shih , H Kaneshima , L Rabin , et al.Postexposure prophylaxis with zidovudine suppresses human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection in SCID-hu mice in a time-dependent manner. J Infect Dis 1991;163(3):625–627.
34. JM Parkin , M Murphy , J Anderson , S El-Gadi , G Forster , AJ Pinching . Tolerability and side-effects of post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV infection. Lancet 2000;355(9205):722–723.
35. V Puro . Post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV infection: Italian Registry of Post-Exposure Prophylaxis. Lancet 2000;355(9214):1556–1557.
36. LM Lee , DK Henderson . Tolerability of postexposure antiretroviral prophylaxis for occupational exposures to HIV. Drug Saf 2001;24(8):587–597.
37. M Russi , M Buitrago , J Goulet , et al.Antiretroviral prophylaxis of health care workers at two urban medical centers. J Occup Environ Med 2000;42(11):1092–1100.
38. JR Garb . One-year study of occupational human immunodeficiency virus postexposure prophylaxis. J Occup Environ Med 2002;44(3):265–270.
39. PR Grime , L Ris , C Binns , JR Carruthers , S Williams . Pan-Thames survey of occupational exposure to HIV and the use of post-exposure prophylaxis in 71 NHS trusts. J Infect 2001;42(l):27–32.
43. DA Hawkins , D Asboe , K Barlow , B Evans . Seroconversion to HIV-1 following a needlestick injury despite combination postexposure prophylaxis. J Infect 2001;43(1):12–15.
46. S Lockman , T Creek . Acute maternal HIV infection during pregnancy and breast-feeding: substantial risk to infants. J Infect Dis 2009;200(5):667–669.
47. AP Kourtis . Antiretroviral drug use during pregnancy and risk of premature delivery: is there a connection? J Infect Dis 2010; 201(7):978–980.
48. L Sarner , A Fakoya . Acute onset lactic acidosis and pancreatitis in the third trimester of pregnancy in HIV-1 positive women taking antiretroviral medication. Sex Transm Infect 2002;78(1):58–59.
49. L Mandelbrot , N Kermarrec , A Marcollet . Case report: nucleoside analogue-induced lactic acidosis in the third trimester of pregnancy. AIDS 2003;17(2):272–273.
51. N Ford , A Calmy , L Mofenson . Safety of efavirenz in the first trimester of pregnancy: an updated systematic review and metaanalysis. AIDS 2011;25(18):2301–2304.
52. S Blanche , M Tardieu , V Benhammou , J Warszawski , P Rustin . Mitochondrial dysfunction following perinatal exposure to nucleoside analogues. AIDS 2006;20(13):1685–1690.
53. C Thorne , ML Newell . Safety of agents used to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV: is there any cause for concern? Drug Sef 2007;30(3):203–213.
54. M Mirochnick , T Thomas , E Capparelli , et al.Antiretroviral concentrations in breast-feeding infants of mothers receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009;53(3):1170–1176.
55. S Benaboud , A Pruvost , PA Coffie , et al.Concentrations of tenofovir and emtricitabine in breast milk of HIV-1-infected women in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, in the ANRS 12109 TEmAA study, step 2. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2011;55(3):1315–1317.
56. RL Shapiro , MD Hughes , A Ogwu , et al.Antiretroviral regimens in pregnancy and breast-feeding in Botswana. N Engl J Med 2010;362(24):2282–2294.
57. S Dryden-Peterson , RL Shapiro , MD Hughes , et al.Increased risk of severe infant anemia after exposure to maternal HAART, Botswana. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;56(5):428–436.
58. JH Humphrey , E Marinda , K Mutasa , et al; ZVITAMBO Study Group. Mother to child transmission of HIV among Zimbabwean women who seroconverted postnatally: prospective cohort study. BMJ 2010;341:c6580.
60. S Masciotra , JS McDougal , J Feldman , P Sprinkle , L Wesolowski , SM Owen . Evaluation of an alternative HIV diagnostic algorithm using specimens from seroconversion panels and persons with established HIV infections. J Clin Virol 201l;52(suppl 1):S17–S22.
61. BM Branson . The future of HIV testing. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2010;55(suppl 2):S102–S105.
62. P Chavez , L Wesolowski , P Patel , K Delaney , SM Owen . Evaluation of the performance of the Abbott ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab combo assay. J Clin Virol 2011;52(suppl 1):S51–S55.
64. CC Tsai , KE Follis , A Sabo , et al.Prevention of SIV infection in macaques by (R)-9-(2-phosphonylmethoxypropyl)adenine. Science 1995;270(5239):1197–1199.
65. RM Gulick , JW Mellors , D Havlir , et al.Treatment with indinavir, zidovudine, and lamivudine in adults with human immunodeficiency virus infection and prior antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 1997;337(ll):734–739.
66. M Hirsch , R Steigbigel , S Staszewski , et al.A randomized, controlled trial of indinavir, zidovudine, and lamivudine in adults with advanced human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection and prior antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis 1999;180(3):659–665.
67. WH Wheeler , RA Ziebell , H Zabina , et al; Variant, Atypical, and Resistant HIV Surveillance Group. Prevalence of transmitted drug resistance associated mutations and HIV-1 subtypes in new HIV-1 diagnoses, U.S.—2006. AIDS 2010;24(8):1203–1212.
69. R Scherzer , M Estrella , Y Li , et al.Association of tenofovir exposure with kidney disease risk in HIV infection. AIDS 2012; 26(7):867–875.
70. AM Cattelan , E Erne , A Salatino , et al.Severe hepatic failure related to nevirapine treatment. Clin Infect Dis 1999;29(2):455–456.
71. S Johnson , JG Baraboutis . Adverse effects associated with use of nevirapine in HIV postexposure prophylaxis for 2 health care workers. JAMA 2000;284(21):2722–2723.
73. K Armstrong , R Görden , G Santorella . Occupational exposure of health care workers (HCWs) to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV); stress reactions and counseling interventions. Soc Work Health Care 1995;21(3):61–80.
75. C Bentsen , L McLaughlin , E Mitchell , et al.Performance evaluation of the Bio-Rad Laboratories GS HIV Combo Ag/Ab EIA, a 4th generation HIV assay for the simultaneous detection of HIV p24 antigen and antibodies to HIV-1 (groups M and O) and HIV-2 in human serum or plasma. J Clin Virol 2011; 52(suppl 1):S57–S61.
76. R Ridzon , K Gallagher , C Ciesielski , et al.Simultaneous transmission of human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus from a needle-stick injury. N Engl J Med 1997;336(13):919–922.
77. CA Ciesielski , RP Metler . Duration of time between exposure and seroconversion in healthcare workers with occupationally acquired infection with human immunodeficiency virus. Am J Med 1997;102(5B):115–116.