This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. T Colbourn , C Asseburg , L Bojke , Prenatal screening and treatment strategies to prevent group B streptococcal and other bacterial infections in early infancy: Cost effectiveness and expected value of information analyses. Health Technol Assess. 2007;11:1–226.
8.A Fanaroff , S Korones , L Wright , Incidence, presenting features, risk factors and significance of late onset septicemia in very low birth weight infants. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1998;17:593–598.
9.KA Gonzalez , J Meinzen-Derr , BL Burke , Evaluation of a lactation support service in a children's hospital neonatal intensive care unit. J Hum Lact. 2003;19:286–292.
10.S Guthrie , P Gordon , V Thomas , Necrotizing enterocolitis among neonates in the United States. J Perinatol. 2003;23:278–285.
11.S Hintz , D Kendrick , B Stoll , Neurodevelopmental and growth outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants after necrotizing enterocolitis. Pediatrics. 2005;115:696–703.
16.B Larroque , P Ancel , S Marret , Neurodevelopmental disabilities and special care of 5-year-old children born before 33 weeks of gestation (the EPIPAGE study): A longitudinal cohort study. Lancet. 2008;371:813–820.
17. WF Liu , S Laudert , B Perkins , The development of potentially better practices to support the neurodevelopment of infants in the NICU. J Perinatol. 2007;27 (Suppl 2):S48–S74.
18.A Lucas , T Cole . Breast milk and neonatal necrotising enterocolitis. Lancet. 1990;336:1519–1523.
19.S Luck , M Sharland . Postnatal cytomegalovirus: Innocent bystander or hidden problem? Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2009;94:F58–F64.
21.R Oostenbrink , H Moll , M Essink-Bot . The EQ-5D and the Health Utilities Index for permanent sequelae after meningitis: A head-to-head comparison. J Clin Epidemiol. 2002;55:791–799.
23.M Quigley , P Cumberland , J Cowden , L Rodrigues . How protective is breastfeeding against diarrhoeal disease in infants in 1990 England? A case-control study. Arch Dis Child. 2005;91:245–250.
25. M Renfrew , D Craig , L Dyson , Breastfeeding promotion for infants in neonatal units: A systematic review and economic analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2009;13:1–146.
27.R Schanler , C Lau , N Hurst , E Smith . Randomized trial of donor human milk versus preterm formula as substitutes for mothers’ own milk in the feeding of extremely premature infants. Pediatrics. 2005;116:400–406.
28.P Sisk , C Lovelady , R Dillard , K Gruber . Lactation counseling for mothers of very low birth weight infants: Effect on maternal anxiety and infant intake of human milk. Pediatrics. 2006;117:e67–e75.
29.B Stoll , N Hansen , I Adams-Chapman , Neurodevelopmental and growth impairment among extremely low-birth-weight infants with neonatal infection. JAMA. 2004;292:2357–2365.
30.B Stoll , N Hansen , A Fanaroff , Late-onset sepsis in very low birth weight neonates: The experience of the NICHD Neonatal Research Network. Pediatrics. 2002;110:285–291.
31.C Townsend , M Cortina-Borja , C Peckham , Low rates of mother-to-child transmission of HIV following effective pregnancy interventions in the United Kingdom and Ireland, 2000–2006. AIDS. 2008;22:973–981.
32. C Trotter , W Edmunds . Modelling cost effectiveness of meningococcal serogroup C conjugate vaccination campaign in England and Wales. BMJ. 2002;324:809.
33.B Vohr , B Poindexter , A Dusick , Beneficial effects of breast milk in the neonatal intensive care unit on the developmental outcome of extremely low birth weight infants at 18 months of age. Pediatrics. 2006;118:e115–e123.
34. B Vohr , B Poindexter , A Dusick , Persistent beneficial effects of breast milk ingested in the neonatal intensive care unit on outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants at 30 months of age. Pediatrics. 2007;120:e953–e959.