This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. MB Leon , CR Smith , M Mack , et al.Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients who cannot undergo surgery. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:1597–607.
4. A Cribier , H Eltchaninoff , C Tron , et al.Early experience with percutaneous transcatheter implantation of heart valve prosthesis for the treatment of end-stage inoperable patients with calcific aortic stenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43:698–703.
8. JG Webb , S Pasupati , K Humphries , et al.Percutaneous transarterial aortic valve replacement in selected high-risk patients with aortic stenosis. Circulation. 2007;116:755–63.
9. F Descoutures , D Himbert , L Lepage , et al.Contemporary surgical or percutaneous management of severe aortic stenosis in the elderly. Eur Heart J. 2008:1410–7.
10. E Grube , G Schuler , L Buellesfeld , et al.Percutaneous aortic valve replacement for severe aortic stenosis in high-risk patients using the second-and current third-generation self-expanding CoreValve prosthesis: device success and 30-day clinical outcome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;50:69–76.
11. E Grube , JC Laborde , U Gerckens , et al.Percutaneous implantation of the CoreValve self-expanding valve prosthesis in high-risk patients with aortic valve disease: the Siegburg first-in-man study. Circulation. 2006;114:1616–24.
12. T Gilbert , W Orr , AP Banning . Surgery for aortic stenosis in severely symptomatic patients older than 80 years: experience in a single UK centre. Heart. 1999;82:138–42.
13. A Gehlot , CJ Mullany , D Ilstrup , et al.Aortic valve replacement in patients aged eighty years and older: early and long-term results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1996;111:1026–36.
14. A Milano , C Guglielmi , M De Carlo , et al.Valve-related complications in elderly patients with biological and mechanical aortic valves. Ann Thorac Surg. 1998;66 (Suppl 1):S82–7.
15. W Eichinger , I Hettich , D Ruzicka , et al.Twenty-year experience with the St. Jude medical Biocor bioprosthesis in the aortic position. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008;86:1204–10.
18. T Yan , C Cao , J Martens-Nielsen , et al.Transcatheter aortic valve implantation for high-risk patients with severe aortic stenosis: a systematic review. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;139:1519–28.
21. A Ahmed , W Aronow , J Fleg . Higher New York Heart Association classes and increased mortality and hospitalization in patients with heart failure and preserved left ventricular function. Am Heart J. 2006;151:444–50.
22. M Maliwa , G van der Heijden , M Bots , et al.Quality of life and NYHA class 30 years after mechanical aortic valve replacement. Cardiovasc Surg. 2003;11:381–7.
23. C Rao , O Aziz , SS Panesar , et al.Cost effectiveness analysis of minimally invasive internal thoracic artery bypass versus percutaneous revascularisation for isolated lesions of the left anterior descending artery. BMJ. 2007;334:621.
25. J Webb , A Cribier . Percutaneous transarterial aortic valve implantation: what do we know? Eur Heart J. 2011;32:140.
26. C McCabe , K Claxton , A Culyer . The NICE cost-effectiveness threshold: what it is and what that means. Pharmacoeconomics. 2008;26:733–44.
27. S Bleiziffer , D Mazzitelli , A Opitz , et al.Beyond the short-term: clinical outcome and valve performance 2 years after transcatheter aortic valve implantation in 227 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;143:310–7.
28. HV Schaff . Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation-at what price? N Engl J Med. 2011;364:2256–8.
29. MR Reynolds , EA Magnuson , K Wang , et al.Cost-effectiveness of transcatheter aortic valve replacement compared with standard care among inoperable patients with severe aortic stenosisclinical perspective results from the Placement of Aortic Transcatheter Valves (PARTNER) Trial (Cohort B). Circulation. 2012;125:1102–9.
30. NE Moat , P Ludman , MA de Belder , et al.Long-term outocmes after trancatheter aortic valve implantation in high-risk patients with severe aortic stenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;58:2130–8.
32. L Kalra , A Evans , I Perez , et al.A randomised controlled comparison of alternative strategies in stroke care. Health Technol Assess. 2005;9:1–94.