This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. RO Rieder , SH Broman , D Rosenthal . The offspring of schizophrenics: II. Perinatal factors and IQ. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1977; 34, 789–799.
3. A Many , A Fattal , Y Leitner , MJ Kupfermine , S Harel , A Jaffa . Neurodevelopmental and cognitive assessment of children born growth restricted to mothers with and without preeclampsia. Hypertens Pregnancy. 2003; 22, 25–29.
4. A Many , A Fattal-Valevski , Y Leitner . Neurodevelopmental and cognitive assessment of 6-year old children born growth restricted. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2005; 89, 55–56.
5. V Ehrenstein , KJ Rothman , L Pedersen , EE Hatch , HT Sorensen . Pregnancy-associated hypertensive disorders and adult cognitive function among Danish conscripts. Amer J Epidemiol. 2009; 170, 1025–1031.
6. MK Ounsted , VA Moar , FJ Good , CWG Redman . Hypertension during pregnancy with and without specific treatment; the development of children at the age of four years. Brit J Obstet Gynecol. 1980; 87, 19–24.
7. M Ounsted , J Cockburn , VA Moar , CWG Redman . Maternal hypertension with superimposed pre-eclampsia: effects on child development at 7.5 years. Brit J Obstet Gynecol. 1983; 90, 644–649.
8. DS Seidman , A Laor , R Gale , . Pre-eclampsia and offspring's blood pressure, cognitive ability and physical development at 17-years-of-age. Brit J Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 98, 1009–1014.
9. NK Klein , M Hack , N Breslau . Children who were very low birth weight: development and academic achievement at nine years of age. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1989; 10, 32–37.
11. N Breslau , H Chilcoat , J DelDotto , P Andreski , G Brown . Low birth weight and neurocognitive status at six years of age. Biol Psychiatry. 1996; 40, 389–397.
13. L Mutch , A Leyland , A McGee . Patterns of neuropsychological function in a low-birthweight population. Dev Med Child Neurol. 1993; 35, 943–956.
15. SC Roth , J Baudin , DC McCormick , . Relation between ultrasound appearance of the brain of very preterm infants and neurodevelopmental impairment at eight years. Dev Med Child Neurol. 1993; 35, 755–768.
18. HT Sorensen , S Sabroe , J Olsen , . Birth weight and cognitive function in young adult life: historical cohort study. Br Med J. 1997; 315, 401–403.
19. M Richards , R Hardy , D Kuh , ME Wadsworth . Birth weight and cognitive function in the British 1946 birth cohort: longitudinal population based study. Br Med J. 2001; 322, 199–202.
20. ML Collaer , M Hines . Human behavioral sex differences: a role for gonadal hormones during early development? Psychol Bull. 1995; 118, 55–107.
21. JM Goldstein , LJ Seidman , JM Goodman , . Are there sex differences in neuropsychological functions among patients with schizophrenia? Amer J Psychiatry. 1998; 155, 1358–1364.
26. MD Lauterbach , S Raz , CJ Sander . Neonatal hypoxic risk in preterm birth infants: the influence of sex and severity of respiratory distress on cognitive recovery. Neuropsychology. 2001; 15, 411–420.
27. AS Clark , PS Goldman-Rakic . Gonadal hormones influence the emergence of cortical function in nonhuman primates. Behav Neurosci. 1989; 103, 1287–1295.
28. E Oken , KP Kleinman , J Rich-Edwards , MW Gillman . A nearly continuous measure of birth weight for gestational age using a United States national reference. BMC Pediatr. 2003; 3, 6.
29.National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group. Report on high blood pressure in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 163, 1691–1712.
34. N Usui , T Haji , M Maruyama , . Cortical areas related to performance of WAIS digit symbol test: a functional imaging study. Neurosci Lett. 2009; 463, 1–5.
36. NC Myrianthopoulos , KS French . An application of the US bureau of the census socioeconomic index to a large diversified patient population. Soc Sci Med. 1968; 2, 283–299.
38. JA Hutcheon , RW Platt . The missing data problem in birth weight percentiles and thresholds for “small-for-gestational-age”. Amer J Epidemiol. 2008; 167, 786–792.
39. SD Shenkin , JM Starr , IJ Deary . Birth weight and cognitive ability in childhood: a systematic review. Psychol Bull. 2004; 130, 989–1013.
40. BJ Jefferis , C Power , C Hertzman . Birth weight, childhood socioeconomic environment and cognitive development in the 1958 British birth cohort study. Br Med J. 2002; 325, 305–310.
41. W Eriksen , JM Sundet , K Tambs . Birth weight standardized to gestational age and intelligence in young adulthood: a register-based birth cohort study of male siblings. Amer J Epidemiol. 2010; 172, 530–536.
43. CN Martyn , CR Gale , AA Sayer , C Fall . Growth in utero and cognitive function in adult life: follow up study of people born between 1920 and 1943. Br Med J. 1996; 312, 1393–1396.
45. E Susser , MG Eide , M Begg . Invited commentary: the use of sibship studies to detect familial confounding. Amer J Epidemiol. 2010; 172, 530–536.
46. D Schendel , C Rice , C Cunniff . The contribution of rare diseases to understanding the epidemiology of neurodevelopmental disabilities. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010; 686, 433–453.
48. JM Goldstein , LJ Seidman , L O'Brien , . Impact of normal sexual dimorphisms on sex differences in structural brain abnormalities in schizophrenia assessed by magnetic resonance imaging. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002; 59, 154–164.
51. SM Resnick , SA Berenbaum , II Gottesman , TJ Bouchard Jr. Early hormonal influences on cognitive functioning in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Dev Psychol. 1986; 22, 191–198.
53. M Schumacher , JJ Legros , J Balthazart . Steroid hormones, behavior and sexual dimorphism in animals and men: the nature–nuture controversy. Exp Clin Endocrinol. 1987; 90, 129–156.
54. S Raz , MD Lauterbach , TL Hopkins , . A female advantage in cognitive recovery from early cerebral insult. Dev Psychol. 1995; 31, 958–966.
56. JM Zhang , AT Konkle , SL Zup , MM McCarthy . Impact of sex and hormones on new cells in the developing rat hippocampus: a novel source of sex dimorphism? Eur J Neurosci. 2008; 27, 791–800.
57. FM Benes , M Turtle , Y Khan , P Farol . Myelination of a key relay zone in the hippocampal formation occurs in the human brain during childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994; 51, 477–484.
59. JN Giedd , JW Snell , N Lange , . Quantitative magnetic resonance imaging of human brain development: ages 4–18. Cereb Cortex. 1996; 6, 551–560.
60. SF Witelson . Neural sexual mosaicism: sexual differentiation of the human temporo-parietal region for functional asymmetry. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1991; 16, 131–153.
61. AJ Saykin , RC Gur , RE Gur , . Normative neuropsychological test performance: effects of age, education, gender and ethnicity. Appl Neuropsychol. 1995; 2, 79–85.
63. J Harasty , KL Double , GM Halliday , JJ Kril , DA McRitchie . Language-associated cortical regions are proportionally larger in the female brain. Arch Neurol. 1997; 54, 171–176.
64. A Singh-Manoux , M Richards , M Marmot . Socioeconomic position across the lifescourse: how does it relate to cognitive function in mid-life? Ann Epidemiol. 2005; 15, 572–578.
65. RE Grunau , MF Whitfield , TB Fay . Psychosocial and academic characteristics of extremely low birth weight (⩽800 g) adolescents who are free of major impairment compared with term-born control subjects. Pediatrics. 2004; 114, e725–e732.
66. HG Taylor , M Hack , NK Klein . Attention deficits in children with <750 gm birth weight. Child Neuropsychol. 1998; 4, 21–34.
67. I Elgren , AJ Lundervold , K Sommerfelt . Aspects of inattention in low birth weight children. Ped Neurol. 2004; 30, 92–98.
68. MM Martel , VC Lucia , JT Nigg , N Breslau . Sex differences in the pathway from low birth weight to inattention/hyperactivity. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2007; 35, 87–96.