This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
P Brandtzaeg . Secretory IgA: designed for anti-microbial defense. Front Immunol. 2013; 4, 222.
AK Koutras , VJ Vigorita . Fecal secretory immunoglobulin A in breast milk versus formula feeding in early infancy. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1989; 9, 58–61.
3. K Maruyama , M Hida , T Kohgo , Y Fukunaga . Changes in salivary and fecal secretory IgA in infants under different feeding regimens. Pediatr Int. 2009; 51, 342–345.
AJ Battersby , DL Gibbons . The gut mucosal immune system in the neonatal period. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2013; 24, 414–421.
5. A Kawano , Y Emori . Changes in maternal secretory immunoglobulin A levels in human milk during 12 weeks after parturition. Am J Hum Biol. 2013; 25, 399–403.
6. MK McGuire , MA McGuire . Human milk: mother nature’s prototypical probiotic food? Adv Nutr. 2015; 6, 112–123.
CS Kaetzel . Cooperativity among secretory IgA, the polymeric immunoglobulin receptor, and the gut microbiota promotes host-microbial mutualism. Immunol Lett. 2014; 162(Pt A), 10–21.
A Mathias , B Pais , L Favre , J Benyacoub , B Corthesy . Role of secretory IgA in the mucosal sensing of commensal bacteria. Gut Microbes. 2014; 5, 688–695.
11. L Orivuori , G Loss , C Roduit , et al. Soluble immunoglobulin A in breast milk is inversely associated with atopic dermatitis at early age: the PASTURE cohort study. Clin Exp Allergy. 2014; 44, 102–112.
12. A Sandin , B Bjorksten , MF Bottcher , et al. High salivary secretory IgA antibody levels are associated with less late-onset wheezing in IgE-sensitized infants. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2011; 22, 477–481.
13. P Subbarao , SS Anand , AB Becker , et al. The Canadian Healthy Infant Longitudinal Development (CHILD) study: examining developmental origins of allergy and asthma. Thorax. 2015; 70, 998–1000.
14. O Ballard , AL Morrow . Human milk composition: nutrients and bioactive factors. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2013; 60, 49–74.
16. H Kohler , S Donarski , B Stocks , et al. Antibacterial characteristics in the feces of breast-fed and formula-fed infants during the first year of life. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2002; 34, 188–193.
P Bachour , R Yafawi , F Jaber , E Choueiri , Z Abdel-Razzak . Effects of smoking, mother’s age, body mass index, and parity number on lipid, protein, and secretory immunoglobulin A concentrations of human milk. Breastfeed Med. 2012; 7, 179–188.
E Bezirtzoglou , A Tsiotsias , GW Welling . Microbiota profile in feces of breast- and formula-fed newborns by using fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). Anaerobe. 2011; 17, 478–482.
20. J Penders , C Vink , C Driessen , et al. Quantification of Bifidobacterium spp., Escherichia coli and Clostridium difficile in faecal samples of breast-fed and formula-fed infants by real-time PCR. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005; 243, 141–147.
B Levast , M Berri , HL Wilson , F Meurens , H Salmon . Development of gut immunoglobulin A production in piglet in response to innate and environmental factors. Dev Comp Immunol. 2014; 44, 235–244.
22. J Penders , K Gerhold , EE Stobberingh , et al. Establishment of the intestinal microbiota and its role for atopic dermatitis in early childhood. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 132, 601–607.
CA Sandman , LM Glynn , EP Davis . Is there a viability-vulnerability tradeoff? Sex differences in fetal programming. J Psychosom Res. 2013; 75, 327–335.
25. MB Azad , T Konya , H Maughan , et al. Infant gut microbiota and the hygiene hypothesis of allergic disease: impact of household pets and siblings on microbiota composition and diversity. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2013; 9, 15.