1. Farooqi, A, Hägglöf, B, Sedin, G, et al. Chronic conditions, functional limitations, and special health care needs in 10- to 12-year-old children born at 23 to 25 weeks’ gestation in the 1990s: a Swedish national prospective follow-up study. Pediatrics. 2006; 118, e1466–e1477.
2. Hack, M, Taylor, HG, Drotar, D, et al. Chronic conditions, functional limitations, and special health care needs of school-aged children born with extremely low-birth-weight in the 1990s. JAMA. 2005; 294, 318–325.
3. Barker, DJ, Godfrey, KM, Gluckman, PD, et al. Fetal nutrition and cardiovascular disease in adult life. The Lancet. 1993; 341, 938–941.
4. Barker, DJ, Eriksson, JG, Forsén, T, et al. Fetal origins of adult disease: strength of effects and biological basis. Int J Epidemiol. 2002; 31, 1235–1239.
5. Gluckman, PD, Hanson, MA, Pinal, C. The developmental origins of adult disease. Matern Child Nutr. 2005; 1, 130–141.
6. Gracey, M, King, M. Indigenous health part 1: determinants and disease patterns. Lancet. 2009; 374, 65–74.
7. Centre for Epidemiology and Evidence, New South Wales Mothers and Babies 2012, NSW Ministry of Health, Editor, 2014: Sydney.
8. Pringle, KG, Weatherall, L, Corbisier de Meaultsart, C, et al. The Gomeroi gaaynggal cohort: A preliminary study of the maternal determinants of pregnancy outcomes in Indigenous Australian women. J Pregnancy Child Health. 2015; 3, 1–7.
9. Wright, P, Lewis, P. Close the Gap - Progress & Priorities report 2017, Australian Human Rights Commission, Editor, 2017. The Close the Gap Campaign Steering Committee.
10. Bramley, D, Hebert, P, Jackson, RT. et al., Indigenous Disparities in Disease-Specific Mortality, A Cross-Country Comparison: New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and the United States, 2004.
11. Cardwell, MS. Stress: pregnancy considerations. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2013; 68, 119–129.
12. Wadhwa, PD, Sandman, CA, Porto, M, et al. The association between prenatal stress and infant birth weight and gestational age at birth: a prospective investigation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 169, 858–865.
13. Wosu, AC, Gelaye, B, Williams, MA. Childhood sexual abuse and posttraumatic stress disorder among pregnant and postpartum women: review of the literature. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2015; 18, 61–72.
14. Shaw, JG, Asch, SM, Kimerling, R, et al. Posttraumatic stress disorder and risk of spontaneous preterm birth. Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124, 1111–1119.
15. Glynn, LM, Wadhwa, PD, Dunkel-Schetter, C, et al. When stress happens matters: effects of earthquake timing on stress responsivity in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 184, 637–642.
16. Lederman, SA, Rauh, V, Weiss, L, et al. The effects of the World Trade Center event on birth outcomes among term deliveries at three lower Manhattan hospitals. Environ Health Perspect. 2004; 112, 1772.
17. Dancause, KN, Laplante, DP, Oremus, C, et al. Disaster-related prenatal maternal stress influences birth outcomes: Project Ice Storm. Early Hum Dev. 2011; 87, 813–820.
18. Raphael, B, Swan, P, Martinek, N. Intergenerational aspects of trauma for Australian Aboriginal people. In International Handbook of Multigenerational Legacies of Trauma, 1998; pp. 327–339. Springer.
21. Bowen, A, Duncan, V, Peacock, S, et al. Mood and anxiety problems in perinatal Indigenous women in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the United States: a critical review of the literature. Transcult Psychiatry. 2014; 51, 93–111.
22. Mah, B, Weatherall, L, Burrows, J, et al. Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms in pregnant Australian Indigenous women residing in rural and remote New South Wales: a cross-sectional descriptive study. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol. 2017; 57, 1–6.
23. Harris, P, Taylor, R, Thielke, R, et al. Research electronic data capture (REDCap) – a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support. J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42, 377–381.
24. Kessler, R, Andrews, G, Colpe, L, et al. Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress. Psychol Med. 2002; 32, 959–976.
25. Spies, G, Stein, D, Roos, A, et al. Validity of the Kessler 10 (K-10) in detecting DSM-IV defined mood and anxiety disorders among pregnant women. Arch Women’s Mental Health. 2009; 12, 69–74.
26. McNamara, B, Banks, E, Gubhaju, L, et al. Measuring psychological distress in older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Australians: a comparison of the K-10 and K-5. Aust NZ J Publ Health. 2014; 38, 567–573.
27. Coombs, TA. Australian Mental Health Outcomes and Classification Network. Kessler-10 Training Manual., N.I.o. Psychiatry, Editor. 2005, NSW Institute of Psychiatry: Sydney.
28. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Measuring the Social and Emotional Wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. 2009. AIHW: Canberra.
29. Kowal, E, Gunthorpe, W, Bailie, RS. Measuring emotional and social wellbeing in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations: an analysis of a negative life events scale. Int J Equity Health. 2007; 6, 18.
30. Yu, XY, Hu, Y, Li, YC, et al. Application of the triage assessment system for psychological assessment for pregnant women with a deadly fetal abnormality. Int J Nurs Pract. 2015; 21, 102–106.
31. United Nations Children’s Fund and World Health Organization. Low Birthweight. Country, Regional and Global Estimates. 2004. UNICEF: New York.
32. Gardosi, J, Francis, A. Customised Weight Centile Calculator. GROW version 22.214.171.124 (AU). Gestation Network, www.gestation.net, 2017.
33. Bentler, P, Chou, C. Practical issues in structural equation modeling. Sociol Methods Res. 1987; 16, 78–117.
34. Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework 2017 Report. 2017. AHMAC: Canberra.
35. Pringle, K, Rae, K, Weatherall, L, et al. Effects of maternal inflammation and exposure to cigarette smoke on birth weight and delivery of preterm babies in a cohort of Indigenous Australian women. Front Immunol. 2015; 6, 1–7.
36. Bowen, A, Duncan, V, Peacock, S, et al. Mood and anxiety problems in perinatal Indigenous women in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the United States: a critical review of the literature. Transcult Psychiatry. 2014; 51, 93–111.
37. Dennis, C-L, Dowswell, T. Psychosocial and psychological interventions for preventing postpartum depression. Cochrane Lib. 2008; 1–69.
38. Brugha, TS, Wheatley, N, Taub, NA, et al. Pragmatic randomized trial of antenatal intervention to prevent post-natal depression by reducing psychosocial risk factors. Psychol Med. 2000; 30, 1273–1281.
39. Felitti, V, Anda, R, Nordenberg, D, et al. Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) study. Am J Prevent Med. 1998; 14, 245–258.
40. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australia’s mothers and babies 2014—in brief. Perinatal statistics series no. 32, AIHW, Editor. 2016: Canberra.
41. Hanson, J. Understanding prenatal health care for American Indian Women in a Northern Plains Tribe. J Transcult Nurs. 2012; 23, 29–37.
42. Emanuel, I, Leisenring, W, Williams, M, et al. The Washington State Intergenerational Study of Birth Outcomes: methodology and some comparisons of maternal birthweight and infant birthweight and gestation in four ethnic groups. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 1999; 13, 352–371.
43. Reibel, T, Walker, R. Antenatal services for Aboriginal women: the relevance of cultural competence. Qual Prim Care. 2010; 18, 65–74.
44. Giscombe, CL, Lobel, M. Explaining disproportionately high rates of adverse birth outcomes among African Americans: the impact of stress, racism, and related factors in pregnancy. Psychol Bull. 2005; 131, 662–683.
45. Peiris, D, Brown, A, Cass, A. Addressing inequities in access to quality health care for indigenous people. Can Med Assoc J. 2008; 179, 985–986.
46. Hayman, NE, White, NE, Spurling, GK. Improving Indigenous patients’ access to mainstream health services: the Inala experience. Med J Aust. 2009; 190, 604–606.
48. Richmond, C, Ross, N. The determinants of First Nation and Inuit health: a critical population health approach. Health Place. 2009; 15, 403–411.